New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iChat - what the heck?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

When someone talks to me on ichat, the text is all scramble and I can't understand what they're saying! I restarted the application and now I can't see anything at all in each window! This is really scary, please help! Sorry for the profanity in the image but it's all I could capture, as absolutely nothing is appearing in the window now. The only thing I can imagine it would be is I just installed an update for Mac OS X!!

Edit: I cut out the profanity.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

You might want to edit your picture and cover up the swear words. As I have no problem with it, some people may get offended and I think it is against forum policy anyways.

And yeah that's pretty weird.
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

Alright. I will. Any ideas though?
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Go to Apps-->Disk Utility-->Then repair permissions

Restart your computer again too.

After that I don't know...I hardly use chat and never use ichat so I can't help too much.
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

i did that and it appears to be working for now....except a digit was just missing on a timestamp...heavily implying that it will happen again...any additional help would be appreciated. thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Hi Fromasta Flex, are you using Tiger? What version?
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

so its started to happen again, as well as problems with spotlight, even after repairing disk permissions.

pulse, i'm on Tiger 10.4.8 on a macbook. i just updated yesterday and now these problems are happening...very frustrating...thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

i'm almost positive it's the update, can i undo it somehow?
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

Try deleting your iCaht preference files. do a spotlight search and delete all of the files under documents with the extension .plist

QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Didn't work....it made ichat appear as if i was opening it for the first time, but it's in a sense worse because now i cant even type in the blank window....
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromasta Flex
Didn't work....it made ichat appear as if i was opening it for the first time, but it's in a sense worse because now i cant even type in the blank window....
It might be a font issue but unfortunately I don't have the experience to advise you...

From what I've gleaned from the web some people have had similiar problems with updating Panther (before Tiger) and claimed to have successfully fixed things by performing an Archive and Install.

I would advise you to stick around until someone can specifically diagnose this further....
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll be on most of the evening. I bought this macbook in july so obviously it came with Tiger. The only other problem I'm having is with spotlight, shown here:

Due to the scrambled text it seems to be related.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

There are some really clever people here and this should be all sorted for you before too long, hopefully.
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

Maybe try this.
http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/badfonts.html
You can check all of them at the same time. Mine only took a few seconds. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (276.1 KB, 6 views)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari & Firefox | Quciktime Issue »