New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Playing WMV on Intel Macs.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Before Apple switched to intel, we had a program that would allow us to install codecs for wmv into quicktime. It was called Flip4Mac, and it allowed us to open up wmv files that were not DRM'd in quicktime. Since the intel switch this program is simply not yet universal, and I know alot of switchers are wondering how they can watch these videos.

I have to spread the word that you now can watch these videos.

I don't know why apple would want to give people this option, but it does com in handy in cases like this. You can open universal apps in rosetta so they act like they are on a ppc computer. Go to your applications menu and click on quicktime then tell it to open in rosetta, this will allow you to open up wmv files in quick time, when flip4mac is installed. When you want to get better performance and are using .mov files and not .wmv files you can go back and tell it not to run in rosetta making all things how they use to be... Have fun watching videos, hope this helps.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

hmm, I just used flip4mac on my macbook and all is fine. I didn't know about that preference setting, but without altering it, both .wmv and .mov files work beautifully for me in quicktime, even when it comes to internet movies that launch through browsers - still no troubles.

What I did, was select a .wmv file, and select 'open with' in info, and 'set all' to open with quicktime. It hasn't given me any troubles at all. .wmv files don't have a quicktime icon (just a generic document icon) but still launch and play fine in quicktime.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of

oh interesting, mine have a quicktime icon and do not play unless quicktime is in rosetta.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

forgive my stupid question but how do I open qicktime through rosetta

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

no worries not a stupid question, i thought is said how to do it. click on the quicktime application and click "get info" then click the check box that says "open in rosetta"

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Flip4Mac has a Universal version. Been using it on my Core Duo Mini for a while now.

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

It's a full universal application now.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

awesome! I should download it and stop doing this stupid work around, lol I installed flip4mac a while ago, and just learned today that this could be done

well, I guess this was a stupid thread then lol

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

thanks pbg4.

Also my computer seems to be working like dtownley1's. I just set it to run with quicktime always and now it works without rosetta.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
relapse

relapse is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb

I am trying to play a wmv file through VLC Media Player (which on my Windows based machine plays everything, including .avi files).

Do I need flip4mac? Or is something else the problem? It's weird, my iMac manages to play one or two wmv files, but the rest don't work. You can only hear the audio through VLC. How do I solve this?

QUOTE Thanks
tonhaoln

tonhaoln is on a distinguished road

hi guys! just bought a macbook yesterday and I don`t know NOTHING!!! lol
is tis flip4mac a software or a plugin for the quick time?? is it for free?
thanks heaps!
QUOTE Thanks
tonhaoln

tonhaoln is on a distinguished road

Hi mate, i've just done what you said.. the problem is.. the screen of my .mov, when is playing, keeps small!! is that because i'm in a trial version??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownley1 View Post
hmm, I just used flip4mac on my macbook and all is fine. I didn't know about that preference setting, but without altering it, both .wmv and .mov files work beautifully for me in quicktime, even when it comes to internet movies that launch through browsers - still no troubles.

What I did, was select a .wmv file, and select 'open with' in info, and 'set all' to open with quicktime. It hasn't given me any troubles at all. .wmv files don't have a quicktime icon (just a generic document icon) but still launch and play fine in quicktime.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie help please | Safari Ad Blocker? »