New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

App for taking Notes in Class

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jose_v

I've been wanting to take all my notes for classes purely on my laptop. The problem is, taking notes for chemistry and physics on word becomes kind of hard because of all the equations. I saw a program someone was using which seemed farily adept at handling equations and technical notes. He said it was called tech shop (i think) but i haven't been able to find anything like it on the net. Maybe I misheard, in which case does anyone know maybe what he might have been talking about? If not, does anyone know of any editor (hopefully relatively cheap) that provides quick access to greek alphabet and great at handling equations and the such?
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

In Word you can type with the Symbol table open at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
jose_v

I've tried that but was just hoping that there was something a little more conducive for that kind of need.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

hate to say this... but i would buy a windows tablet pc and type my notes and write the formulas..

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
hate to say this... but i would buy a windows tablet pc and type my notes and write the formulas..
^Beat me to the punch...I was just about to say that's the only other thing I could recommend.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursuciofla
^Beat me to the punch...I was just about to say that's the only other thing I could recommend.
Theres probably software out there for this, but I would feel that the tablet would keep me more organized.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/P...er/default.htm

I wonder if I could make this work with my Wacom tablet? But anyways this is also something to look into.
QUOTE Thanks
Scroatdog

Scroatdog will become famous soon enough

Fortunately I don't need to worry about formulas in my classes, but I'll tell ya...... that "Audio Notes" feature in Office 2004 Mac edition is great. Whenever I find myself "Zoning out", I simply type "zoning out" on my notes page and hit the record button. The n later I listen to what I wasnt paying attention to. LOL

1) Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz, iWork, Ilife 06, Logic Pro, Office 2K4
2) A PC with a bunch of stuff in it.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Personally, I find THIS to be the best thing for taking notes in class.
It can duplicate any character out there and is the most reliable thing I have seen around.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

lol devilboy.

I use pen sometimes, but i find it hard to keep get all the information down, and still be able to read it later if I am not typing.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Personally, I find THIS to be the best thing for taking notes in class.
It can duplicate any character out there and is the most reliable thing I have seen around.
:black:
Ha, nice one. :black:
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Word notebook is very useful for taking notes in class. Not sure about writing down formulas though. I only use my laptop in my Operating Systems class which has powerpoint slides as companion to the lecture and t ype the notes to accompany.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

If there's a lot to take down, why not consider a digital camera? Just sit it in front of you, make sure flash is off and take a photo (manual settings would help)

If you've got a lot of new formulae to write down, there's every chance you could make a mistake - taking a photo will let you look at any slide again later.

And Devilboy is right. You can't go wrong with pen and paper.
QUOTE Thanks
jose_v

I'm resorting to the ol' tried and true method and one of my lectures is video-taped and posted online. Just figured that carrying a simple laptop is much more efficient than carrying several notebooks, paper, pens...etc. Boo for having to take technical notes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nothing works with mac. | Firefox dislikes some websites »