Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Potential Windows Convert...
    I bought my wife a MacBook (1.83 ghz / 1gig RAM) just last week and we're both in love with it. I am using an ageing Windows Laptop and am due for an upgrade probably early next year... a Mac is tempting, especially after seeing how dull looking and unimaginative Vista/Aero is shaping up to be (I know, I have Vista Beta and Office 2007... seriously ugly).

    Anyway, there are a few things that would potentially put me off. I am saying these to be convinced, not to start an argument, so I'll just write 'em as i see 'em.

    - Home Accounts Package. I have used MS Money since 1998 and although it started out a bit naff, I am now using the 2004 package and it's a very good programme indeed. Quicken on the Mac (and PC) just doesn't float my boat. Are there any alternatives (I don't mean rinky dinky shareware stuff... something serious).

    - OS upgrades. Mac users make fun of windows users for having to wait on Longhorn/Vista. BUT... from my point of view I have had a stable OS for 5 years... and, quite honestly, XP has been fine for me. No huge crashes, never had to reinstall either this laptop or my previous desktop (had this machine for 3 years) and I am not sure of the benefit of paying for an upgrade virtually yearly. Also, my wife's previous machine was a G3 700mhz, running OS X 10.2.8 which crashed a lot. I read that 10.2.8 was full of bugs. Also, we could not upgrade to QT7 without at least 10.3.x, which begs the question, how long does Apple support an OS release? Even Ubuntu (Linux) has a 5 year support promise!

    - Reliability. WHen the G3 died, we looked on eBay for a replacement (before I suprised her with a new one)... it was FULL of G3s with dead logicboards. I was very suprised... did Apple have a bad couple of years? I'd expect a machine like this to last 5 years, minimum - in fact I'd expect it to be unuseable due to being too slow before breaking.

    - iTunes. I love iTunes and I love my iPOD... but I am not sur I want to get tied in to a single proprietry format (AAC) that I am then stuck with forever. How do Apple fans feel about this.

    So... it could be a Leopard powered MacBook Pro for me in early '07 - or Vista, a Zune and MS Money for the next 5 years.

  2. #2
    sursuciofla
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook
    I bought my wife a MacBook (1.83 ghz / 1gig RAM) just last week and we're both in love with it. I am using an ageing Windows Laptop and am due for an upgrade probably early next year... a Mac is tempting, especially after seeing how dull looking and unimaginative Vista/Aero is shaping up to be (I know, I have Vista Beta and Office 2007... seriously ugly).

    Anyway, there are a few things that would potentially put me off. I am saying these to be convinced, not to start an argument, so I'll just write 'em as i see 'em.

    - Home Accounts Package. I have used MS Money since 1998 and although it started out a bit naff, I am now using the 2004 package and it's a very good programme indeed. Quicken on the Mac (and PC) just doesn't float my boat. Are there any alternatives (I don't mean rinky dinky shareware stuff... something serious).

    - OS upgrades. Mac users make fun of windows users for having to wait on Longhorn/Vista. BUT... from my point of view I have had a stable OS for 5 years... and, quite honestly, XP has been fine for me. No huge crashes, never had to reinstall either this laptop or my previous desktop (had this machine for 3 years) and I am not sure of the benefit of paying for an upgrade virtually yearly. Also, my wife's previous machine was a G3 700mhz, running OS X 10.2.8 which crashed a lot. I read that 10.2.8 was full of bugs. Also, we could not upgrade to QT7 without at least 10.3.x, which begs the question, how long does Apple support an OS release? Even Ubuntu (Linux) has a 5 year support promise!

    - Reliability. WHen the G3 died, we looked on eBay for a replacement (before I suprised her with a new one)... it was FULL of G3s with dead logicboards. I was very suprised... did Apple have a bad couple of years? I'd expect a machine like this to last 5 years, minimum - in fact I'd expect it to be unuseable due to being too slow before breaking.

    - iTunes. I love iTunes and I love my iPOD... but I am not sur I want to get tied in to a single proprietry format (AAC) that I am then stuck with forever. How do Apple fans feel about this.

    So... it could be a Leopard powered MacBook Pro for me in early '07 - or Vista, a Zune and MS Money for the next 5 years.
    I am a Mac lover and I agree with you on the OS...I really am not a fan of a new OS coming out every year and outdating an OS I buy just months earlier. But I love the OS, it is just for me. I got so sick of the Windows platform because it is not user friendly enough for me. However for work I am stuck using it sometimes so I deal with it.

    As far as iTunes I don't use AAC, I use mp3 and if I download from Apple Store I put songs on re-writable as an audio disk and just re-import them as mp3. I have no problems doing that but that's just me.

    But anywho, seems like you know what floats your boat so whatever decision you make it will be a good one. Congrats on the MacBook...I am waiting on Leopard, I am pretty excited about that one.

    The other two questions I wish I could help but I use Quicken and I love it and I will let you know in 3 years to see if Apple just had off years with the G3. I have had my G4 for about 2 years now.

  3. #3

    rman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    12,584
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook
    - iTunes. I love iTunes and I love my iPOD... but I am not sur I want to get tied in to a single proprietry format (AAC) that I am then stuck with forever. How do Apple fans feel about this.

    So... it could be a Leopard powered MacBook Pro for me in early '07 - or Vista, a Zune and MS Money for the next 5 years.
    What I find funny here is that you don't want to get stuck in one proprietry format, but you mention Microsoft and Zune. Which I believe is another proprietry format. lol

    As for the OSs, you don't have to upgrade unless you want too. I have four systems, one running 10.1.5, two at 10.3.9 and one at 10.4.7. All of them are working fine at where they are at. it all depends on what you plan to do with the system if you need to upgrade.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

  4. #4

    PowerBookG4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,188
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    I upgrade because I like the new stuff, this does not mean that you have to upgrade when something new comes out. My brother does not upgrade his computer when a new os comes out and everything works how he want it too. Apple does not force you to upgrade then just like to keep coming out with new stuff to keep the customers happy. That is one thing I like about Apple, I don't have to wait that long for something new, I have windows xp and I will admit that even though I am using it now because I am at school and I don't bring my 17inch mpb with me to school, I do not like it as much as osx, It has been the same thing for as long as I can remember and microsoft really needs to completely change the os. I think that when leapord comes out you will have everything you need to run a computer, a backup program (time maching), Amazing search ability, new finder (rumored), new core service (core animation) and a few other things. That will probably be the last thing that I would see needed, but then again, apple might suprise us with something even more amazing at 10.6
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

  5. #5

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    What I find funny here is that you don't want to get stuck in one proprietry format, but you mention Microsoft and Zune. Which I believe is another proprietry format. lol

    As for the OSs, you don't have to upgrade unless you want too. I have four systems, one running 10.1.5, two at 10.3.9 and one at 10.4.7. All of them are working fine at where they are at. it all depends on what you plan to do with the system if you need to upgrade.
    OK, on Zune, there are many players that can play WM - with Apple's iTunes, only the iPOD can play the music and iPOD is not compatible with any other online music seller. That's what I meant. Having said that, I have not had any reason to think I'd want to move away from iTunes/iPOD.

    On the upgrades - there are many applications that already don't support 10.2.x or before, so I don't agree with your suggestion that you do not need to upgrade. Clearly it depends on what you use the machine for as you say. Still, considering OS X is about 1/3 of the price of Vista... I guess you could argue you get 3 OSs for the price of one.

  6. #6
    Logan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook
    OK, on Zune, there are many players that can play WM - with Apple's iTunes, only the iPOD can play the music and iPOD is not compatible with any other online music seller. That's what I meant. Having said that, I have not had any reason to think I'd want to move away from iTunes/iPOD.

    On the upgrades - there are many applications that already don't support 10.2.x or before, so I don't agree with your suggestion that you do not need to upgrade. Clearly it depends on what you use the machine for as you say. Still, considering OS X is about 1/3 of the price of Vista... I guess you could argue you get 3 OSs for the price of one.
    Most apps just require OS X that I see.

    Personally i'd rather have a OGG player, but ACC, MP3, WM whatever it all can be converted back and forth with the right software. So I wouldn't even pay attention to what the file is. You don't have to have iTunes to put music on your iPod. It's just the most (l)user-friendly

    Look at the history of windows. Look at the history of Apple. So long as OS X doesn't decide to rewrite their kernel to something they made on their own (BSD <3) I will be happy with OS X. I just call it user friendly X11/Unix. I had a guy try to argue with me that OS X wasn't a unix-like OS before... That was an amusing debate.



    One feature I'm kind of interested in with Vista is the powershell, granted it'll use the .NET framework it looks to be an interesting shell in comparison to most.

    If people started realizing software gets written on what is the most popular they may realize it's better to take the chance and stick to what you believe is the best because if everyone follows, the software follows.

  7. #7

    lifeafter2am's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,395
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook
    OK, on Zune, there are many players that can play WM - with Apple's iTunes, only the iPOD can play the music and iPOD is not compatible with any other online music seller. That's what I meant. Having said that, I have not had any reason to think I'd want to move away from iTunes/iPOD.
    Not True!!!! I dont use iTunes at all. I am a producer and DJ, I download tracks from djdownload.com, beatport.com, emusic.com, all compatible with my iPod. The music on iTunes can I guess only be played on an iPod, but I don't buy anything with DRM.

    --lifeafter2am
    masakatsu agatsu

    @lifeafter2am

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook
    OK, on Zune, there are many players that can play WM - with Apple's iTunes, only the iPOD can play the music and iPOD is not compatible with any other online music seller. That's what I meant. Having said that, I have not had any reason to think I'd want to move away from iTunes/iPOD.
    Not exactly. There are many players that play WMA. There are fewer players that play WMA "PlaysForSure" music from WMA online services.

    And so far, there are zero players that are compatible with the Zune media service.

    Zune itself is not compatible with PlaysForSure services, and PlaysForSure players are not compatible with Zune services. In other words, Microsoft has already abandoned its existing PlaysForSure customers.

    Oddly enough, Zune will support the AAC format used in iTunes (but, of course, not the FairPlay media sold on the iTunes Store.)

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Sep 15, 2006
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    236
    I have just ordered Parallels (35.99 from Amazon) to run Quickbooks on my new MacBook. I have MS Money and Quicken, although I no longer use them.

    I don't use MP3 any more - although I still have several thousand mp3 tracks. I use the APE format with JRiver Media Centre, as it's lossless. So I may need to convert to ALAC or see if MC runs under Parallels.

  10. #10

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Well I converted...

    Specs in Sig. I love it. When my mobile phone sync'ed with iCal and my address book 1st time, I ran around the room laughing like a silly child.

    :p
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  11. #11

    xstep's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 25, 2005
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    3,231
    Specs:
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook
    When my mobile phone sync'ed with iCal and my address book 1st time, I ran around the room laughing like a silly child.
    I did the same thing when I upgraded from 10.2 to 10.4. Sometimes Apple simply amazes me to an extreme.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Windows Games [potential Mac buyer]
    By ~NeonFire372~ in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
  2. Macbook running windows XP potential to viruses?
    By Sniper78 in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2006, 11:03 AM
  3. Another Windows convert...
    By Liam in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 02:17 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 02:59 PM
  5. Potential Convert?
    By amartins02 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •