New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Windows remote desktop connection in OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

Hey guys, I'm really interested in getting a 12" G4 PowerBook now, but the only thing holding me back is one major problem. I use my laptop a lot to remotely access my servers at work through Windows remote desktop connection, but I wasn't sure if there was a program that allowed you to do this in OSX, other than running Parallels and running Windows XP, then accessing it. Does anyone know of any sort of utility that will allow you to access Windows RDC in OSX 10.4?

If not, how fast does Parallels run on a PowerBook G4 (867MHz/1GHz) for using Windows XP? I don't really want to use it if it lags way too much. Thanks!

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Parallels won't run at all - it requires an intel based mac.

Why do you want the old 12" powerbook? I'd go for the 13" macbook - you'll be able to run windows xp in parallels extremely fast.

Alternatively there are a number of VNC clients you can use with a powerpc based mac as well, including microsoft's own Remote access client for OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...edesktopclient

There you go. It works wonderfully.
QUOTE Thanks
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...gnosysreq=True

Wow, thanks for the info Aptmunich, I didn't even think Microsoft would have made a remote desktop client for OSX compatible with PowerPC, but it does exist. I'll have to install this on one of my G4s and give it a try.

The reason I want the 12" PowerBook is because I can get a good deal on it on eBay. I figure if I went with the 867MHz or 1GHz model I can probably get one for $500-600 and just max out the RAM and put in a Seagate 7200RPM drive. The MacBook is going to run me $1050, plus it is larger than the 12" PowerBook. I would go with a MacBook Pro, but they don't come in models smaller than 15", and my CEO at work has one I set up for him and it is a tad to large for my liking. It was one **** of a machine for the money, though, I have to admit.

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Ah gotcha...

Well the intel based macs are definitely easier if you really ever have to use some sort of local windows apps...
But if you remote log in that should work fine too
QUOTE Thanks
bob13bob

bob13bob is on a distinguished road

just wanted to chime in. have intel based mac 17" with 2 gigs memory. the parallels solution is a pita and not that fast.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« virus? that keeps popping up | Application Question.. »