New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iBook - Firefox on Intel Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Hi - This is my first post.

I bought a an iBook for my wife only yesterday. 1.83ghz Core Duo, 1 gig of Ram etc. Anyway, yesterday we finished setting it up and she wanted to carry on using Firefox as she'd used that both on my Windows laptop and her previous G3 Mac.

I initially downloaded the latest full release of FF for Mac, version 1.5.0.2 I believe (which is supposed to be a Universal Binary). Whilst it worked fine, I noticed the scrolling was very slow and jerky, a lot slower than on my 2 and a half year old Windows machine, running an ageing A64.

So then I downloaded FF 2.0b which, although very slightly improved, was still luggish for such a fast machine.

Everythink else works perfectly, the machine is stupidly fast - but FF seems to crawl. Safari doesn't seem nearly as bad, but neither her nor I really like it.

If I was to jump to the dark side (Apple :spook: ) this scrolling issue would annoy me.

Is this something FF users just have to live with, or is there a workaround?

PS - As a Windows user, I am very impressed with OS X...
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Well, if your not reliant on FF for all the plugins and ways to change the appearance, I would suggest trying Camino. I like it very much and use it for all my web browsing, it's nice and simple and seems faster than Safari for me. I use FF when I'm on a windows PC and I now use Camino on my Macs :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51
Well, if your not reliant on FF for all the plugins and ways to change the appearance, I would suggest trying Camino. I like it very much and use it for all my web browsing, it's nice and simple and seems faster than Safari for me. I use FF when I'm on a windows PC and I now use Camino on my Macs :mac:
Are there plugin issues with Camino? She listens to BBC radio on the internet (we're Brits living in New York) so Realplayer embedded i a must. Obviously QT will be ok.

I have to say, I've heard bad things about Camino, bugs etc, but I might check it out.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

FF can slow down due to certain extensions. I am using FF 1.5 on my Intel Mac and don't have any problem. Having said the, I would suggest you to try Camino if you want a simple but fast alternative for FF. There won't be any problem watching BBC on Camino. All you have to do is, install Real Player.

There are some plugins available for Camino but not as much as for FF. You can download them at PimpMyCamino.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Firefox isn't really a native mac (i.e. cocoa) application, I believe it's currently implemented in java somehow, similar to neooffice/j. (though I'm probably waaay off there I just know it isn't an optimal mac version yet).

They're planning a more mac native version for the future though, but for the time being Camino is a nice mozilla alternative.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

FireFox is smooth on my iMac G5 iSight. Very smooth page scrolling. I will try it on my Core Duo Mini in the morning and report back.
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

never had a problem with firefox, its much faster then safari in alot of aspects! and the awsome tabbing is the shiznit
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook
Are there plugin issues with Camino? She listens to BBC radio on the internet (we're Brits living in New York) so Realplayer embedded i a must. Obviously QT will be ok.

I have to say, I've heard bad things about Camino, bugs etc, but I might check it out.
I've never had any problems with FireFox on my macbook, but I opt to use Camino anyway. BBC streams work fine with realplayer :-)
QUOTE Thanks
redmelons

redmelons is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB RAM, OS X 10.4.7

I use Firefox 2.0b2 on my 1.66GHz core duo, 512MB ram mac mini with no problems at all. It is fast and smooth. I think your problem must lie elsewhere?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmelons
I use Firefox 2.0b2 on my 1.66GHz core duo, 512MB ram mac mini with no problems at all. It is fast and smooth. I think your problem must lie elsewhere?

Ditto and it's smooth as can be. I normally use Safari on that machine, but tried Firefox Latest non beta version and it's smooth.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Firefox has always done that for me - on my new macbook and old iBook. I think it's just the way it is, with/without skins, plugins etc. I just accepted it, as it didn't bother me. I don't use Firefox all that much, only for deviantart browsing and message management.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Try Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
andy_st200

andy_st200 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

its fine on my intel powerbook

Line1:My Mac..
Line2:MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB 667 DDR2, 100GB Serial ATA drive (7200rpm), SuperDrive (DVD-RW/CD-RW), 15" Glossy Widescreen Display
Line3:
Line4:... born 11/09/2006
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

I use Opera as the main browser on my PC, although I use FireFox too.

Opera works fine on my MacBook - although I have not tried FireFox on it yet.
QUOTE Thanks
websyndicate

websyndicate is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2ghz Core Duo 2gb Ram 160gb Hard Drive

Firefox funs fine for me. Do you have alot of stuff or plugin going at the same time?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Speech -> Mp3 | Simple paint program. »