Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Mini Mac
    Can I Webcam with Ichat to Non-Mac PC?
    My husband's in Iraq - he has a Windows based PC - he uses MSN.
    I just switched to my Mac, I need to figure out what program to use so I can video with him.

Adium doesn't do video, right?
    MSN isn't compatible with Mac, right?
    Ichat? - Can I use this if he's using his MSN? ... If not, what are the alternatives.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    aMSN is a mac compatible program, and I believe it does video.. don't quote me on that, I don't use it
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Specs:
    Mini Mac
    Ok - so I couldn't find it on the MSN site - but clicking it into google I found where I can get it from ... thanks, I wouldn't have searched if you hadn't said anything.

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Microsoft Messenger runs on the Mac. I use it almost daily to communicate with others on PCs using MSN. Check out the following URL.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default...d=msnmessenger
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57
    Microsoft Messenger runs on the Mac. I use it almost daily to communicate with others on PCs using MSN. Check out the following URL.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default...d=msnmessenger
    no video capabilities
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Specs:
    macbook
    yahoo messenger uses webcam fine. It uses iSight and built in web cams with no troubles. Skype is also a good program - the beta for mac uses video chat, and with skype, you can 'phone call' other skype users for free - basically, you use your computer as a phone. You can call any other phone too, but I think you need to buy credit (online) to do that. If you both have skype you can talk for free

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    aMSN is what you want.. allows the use of the built in camera as well

you can download it from: http://amsn.sourceforge.net/

it even keeps your video logs as well as text logs :biohazard
    Line1:My Mac..
    Line2:MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB 667 DDR2, 100GB Serial ATA drive (7200rpm), SuperDrive (DVD-RW/CD-RW), 15" Glossy Widescreen Display
    Line3:
    Line4:... born 11/09/2006

Specs:
    MacBook 2ghz Core Duo 2gb Ram 160gb Hard Drive
    use skype video chat. that will work great on the pc side get a good camera something like logictech. the microsoft one's are poor quality. I went through the same thing about a week ago skype beta will need for the Mac it just came out with video chat the pc will not require anything different. I hope that helps

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    whats the point of using skype or anything else when her husband is already using msn and aMSN already supports the built in camera and means neither of them will need to install anything else :biohazard

silverforth, ive been using amsn now for a week or so with all my pc based msn friend with no issues at all.. go get it now :headphone
    Line1:My Mac..
    Line2:MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB 667 DDR2, 100GB Serial ATA drive (7200rpm), SuperDrive (DVD-RW/CD-RW), 15" Glossy Widescreen Display
    Line3:
    Line4:... born 11/09/2006

Specs:
    IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
    Two choices... Mercury or amsn...

Mercury : http://www.mercury.to
    amsn : http://amsn.sourceforge.net

PS: amsn have less gadgets but use less cpu

that's all folks!
    :cool: The day Microsoft makes something that doesn’t suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners... !

www.icompositions.com/artists/avanos68

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Here is one other idea, if one or the other of you has a static IP address, vs. a DHCP'd one. If you don't know what I am talking about, you don't have a static IP address. If you did, you would know about it - you usually have to pay for them!

If your husband has a PC and a webcam, odds are he has NetMeeting on his PC (the program name, oddly enough, is conf.exe. It is usually in CWindows). NetMeeting can place calls directly from PC to PC, without any intervening service like MSN - just direct from one PC to another. That is the static IP angle. One of you needs to know the IP address of the other in order for this to work. While you *can* find out what your IP address is at any time, even if it is not static, typically, if you have a DHCP'd address it may potentially be NAT'd as well, and the calls just won't work (stopped by firewalls).

BUT, if one or the other of you has a static IP, use NetMeeting on the PC end and Xmeeting (see http://xmeeting.sourceforge.net) on the Mac. This allows you place full voice and video calls from a PC to a Mac. I make such calls frequently, for video calls with relatives who live up in Canada. It works well. Best yet - Xmeeting is open source freeware!

The way I work it with my relatives is that we agree ahead of time to a schedule (for example, we will have a call every Sunday evening at 8:00 PM). We "meet up" on line using MSN, and once we are both there, we set up the video call. To do this, the one without the static IP places the call to the one with the known static IP and all is well.

BTW, this works with Linux too. This is not relavent to the original post at this point, but Xmeeting is perfectly capable of engaging in voice and video calls with Linux's GnomeMeeting (now renamed Ekiga Softphone... yuch! I liked "GnomeMeeting" better!) as well.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Specs:
    macbook
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_st200
    whats the point of using skype or anything else when her husband is already using msn and aMSN already supports the built in camera and means neither of them will need to install anything else :biohazard

silverforth, ive been using amsn now for a week or so with all my pc based msn friend with no issues at all.. go get it now :headphone
    skype allows you to make web phone calls for free, plus you can now use webcams at the same time. I only recently got aMSN, and it seems aMSN doesn't accomodate web calling.

Specs:
    Mini Mac
    Well .. here's how this cookie got baked:

I have a webcam that isn't compatible with a mac - so I found macam - great, it works.

So - for the program, since he can't install anything at the moment (he busted his laptop - I have to get it fixed before he has the net in his room) we used yahoo - yahoo is compatible w/ mac and windows and we had no problems what so ever....and, through yahoo, i can im people who are using Windows Live Messenger (MSN) if need be.

However - we love the idea of skype and so we're going to go with that once he gets situated. I've already signed up for it and I've used it to make some business calls internationally - for free! totally awesome.

Thanks, everyone, for the input - much appreciated and very helpful.

One thing I could not figure out for hte life of me was Aol AIM and video - none of that made any sense or was easy to find or install properly.

so you fetched a Mac Mini?

all the other consumer Mac's have built in iSight. sorry to hear.
    you could just boot XP in boot camp or parallels and use it that way (if you have an Intel Mac of course.)
    MacBook owner since 7/15/06
    13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
    My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!

skellious
    Does anyone know of a mac os x client for MSN that does Video & Voice?

I'm currently useing amsn, it's very good, but no sound.

Thread Information