Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    iMac ability to "mix" music?
    Hi,
    I am a potential "Switcher"...

    I am considering the new iMac Core2Duo (20"). My question is this:


    Does this machine, with the standard preloaded software have the ability to "mix" music? Tempo, beats, etc...

    My wife is an aerobics instructor, and spends a lot of $$$ on CD's that are "mixed" at higher tempo's than the original recordings... between 128 bpm and 142 bpm.

    I would like to use the music in my extensive iTunes collection as well as my CD's to remix various pop songs at higher Beats Per Minute, and blend songs into eachother.

    Is this possible? If so, how easy or difficult is the process?

    Thank you so much in advance... This is my last hurdle before making the "switch"

  2. #2

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Garage Band Ability To Mix????
    Hi,
    I am a potential "Switcher"...

    I am considering the new iMac Core2Duo (20"). My question is this:


    Does this machine, with the standard preloaded Garageband software have the ability to "mix" music? Tempo, beats, etc...

    My wife is an aerobics instructor, and spends a lot of $$$ on CD's that are "mixed" at higher tempo's than the original recordings... between 128 bpm and 142 bpm.

    I would like to use the music in my extensive iTunes collection as well as my CD's to remix various pop songs at higher Beats Per Minute, and blend songs into eachother.

    Is this possible? If so, how easy or difficult is the process?

    Thank you so much in advance... This is my last hurdle before making the "switch"

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2005
    Posts
    4,702
    Hi, I attached an image showing the window that GarageBand shows whenever you start a new project. So you can see that you set the tempo right from the start. You can then import mp3, AAC files (some others I've forgotten) and when finished you can export them to iTunes where you can burn them to disc.

    I have used GarageBand and my songs can be found through the link at the bottom of my post.

    If you live near an Apple Store then I think you should drop in for a GarageBand demo of this process.

    Hope this helps you..... :doctor:

  4. #4

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Mods note: Threads merged.

  5. #5

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse-8
    Hi, I attached an image showing the window that GarageBand shows whenever you start a new project. So you can see that you set the tempo right from the start. You can then import mp3, AAC files (some others I've forgotten) and when finished you can export them to iTunes where you can burn them to disc.

    I have used GarageBand and my songs can be found through the link at the bottom of my post.

    If you live near an Apple Store then I think you should drop in for a GarageBand demo of this process.

    Hope this helps you..... :doctor:
    Thanks Pulse-8!!!!

    Can I use existing songs.... Say.. "Dream On" by Aerosmith and simply increase the tempo/beats, and then merge that song into say "The Kill" by Thirty Seconds to Mars?

    Is it fairly simple for a newbie (in audio mixing) to create re-mixes with faster beats, 2 songs merging into eachother etc.???

    Thanks again.
    RIDE


    PS~ Sorry about the cross post Aptmunich.

  6. #6

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Hey Ride, no problem.

    I know a colleague of mine swears by Native Instruments Taktor DJ Studio for this sort of thing...

    http://www.native-instruments.com/

  7. #7

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    Hey Ride, no problem.

    I know a colleague of mine swears by Native Instruments Taktor DJ Studio for this sort of thing...

    http://www.native-instruments.com/

    NICE!!! Thank you!

  8. #8

    lifeafter2am's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,395
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    Hey Ride, no problem.

    I know a colleague of mine swears by Native Instruments Taktor DJ Studio for this sort of thing...

    http://www.native-instruments.com/
    If you want even more control, check out Ableton Live. There is a free demo on their website. Its what the professional DJ's (Sasha, BT, Armin Van Burren) and a whole lot of other people use.

    http://www.ableton.com

    --lifeafter2am
    masakatsu agatsu

    @lifeafter2am

  9. #9

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeafter2am
    If you want even more control, check out Ableton Live. There is a free demo on their website. Its what the professional DJ's (Sasha, BT, Armin Van Burren) and a whole lot of other people use.

    http://www.ableton.com

    --lifeafter2am

    That stuff looks incredible... but WAY beyond what I am needing. Can Garage Band "Tweak" Tempo, Crossfade, merge, etc.. EXISTING songs by various artists, say from CD's I own, or iTunes music I've purchased?

    I know garage band will do these things with "homemade" music... but will it do it with copyrighted material/existing purchased songs?

    Thanks again... The links have been very helpful and educating.

  10. #10

    lifeafter2am's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,395
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE
    That stuff looks incredible... but WAY beyond what I am needing. Can Garage Band "Tweak" Tempo, Crossfade, merge, etc.. EXISTING songs by various artists, say from CD's I own, or iTunes music I've purchased?

    I know garage band will do these things with "homemade" music... but will it do it with copyrighted material/existing purchased songs?

    Thanks again... The links have been very helpful and educating.
    Yea I produce and perform live with Ableton Live, its pretty sick. I know for a fact that you CANNOT use any tracks from itunes because of the DRM restrictions. I dont know if garageband can do any of that. Just from looking at it, I would assume that it can tweak tempo and merge tracks, but I dont think it can crossfade (at least I dont see a traditional crossfader). You would need more of a DJ type of program, like Live or Tractor Studio.

    If you want to use Live though, you can run it through garageband and use garageband to record what you are doing with Live. Its called Rewiring. Like I said, check out the demo, its really easy to start using! Especially for just changing tempos and simple crossfading of tracks.

    --lifeafter2am
    masakatsu agatsu

    @lifeafter2am

  11. #11

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeafter2am
    Yea I produce and perform live with Ableton Live, its pretty sick. I know for a fact that you CANNOT use any tracks from itunes because of the DRM restrictions. I dont know if garageband can do any of that. Just from looking at it, I would assume that it can tweak tempo and merge tracks, but I dont think it can crossfade (at least I dont see a traditional crossfader). You would need more of a DJ type of program, like Live or Tractor Studio.

    If you want to use Live though, you can run it through garageband and use garageband to record what you are doing with Live. Its called Rewiring. Like I said, check out the demo, its really easy to start using! Especially for just changing tempos and simple crossfading of tracks.

    --lifeafter2am
    Thanks lifeafter2am (GREAT name!!!)... I'm going to give it a shot. I am ordering the 20" iMac Core2duo tomorrow!!!! I can hardly wait. :headphone

  12. #12

    lifeafter2am's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,395
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE
    Thanks lifeafter2am (GREAT name!!!)... I'm going to give it a shot. I am ordering the 20" iMac Core2duo tomorrow!!!! I can hardly wait. :headphone
    Awesome man! The new version of Live that we are currently beta testing (Live 6), will have support for multiple cores. Really boosts performance, but you wouldn't notice a difference until you start using a lot of the effects and stuff. I picked up the program a little less than a year ago now (coming from traditional DJ'ing with turntables) and I have almost completely switched over. I only use my tables now to record into Ableton, and for scratching.

    If you have any questions you can either pm me, or check out the forums over on Ableton's site. There are also another set of forums just for DJ's using Ableton.

    http://www.abletonlivedj.com/forum/index.php

    Have fun!!!!!

    --lifeafter2am
    masakatsu agatsu

    @lifeafter2am

  13. #13

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeafter2am
    Awesome man! The new version of Live that we are currently beta testing (Live 6), will have support for multiple cores. Really boosts performance, but you wouldn't notice a difference until you start using a lot of the effects and stuff. I picked up the program a little less than a year ago now (coming from traditional DJ'ing with turntables) and I have almost completely switched over. I only use my tables now to record into Ableton, and for scratching.

    If you have any questions you can either pm me, or check out the forums over on Ableton's site. There are also another set of forums just for DJ's using Ableton.

    http://www.abletonlivedj.com/forum/index.php

    Have fun!!!!!

    --lifeafter2am



    I'm in!!!!!! Just ordered! This may be the longest possible 10 days of my short life. Below are the specs. I will be getting a couple Airport Extremes to finaly play my iTunes collection via my home theater and in-ceiling home speaker system.... I'f you can't tell, I am completely physched. I'll post in the Switcher area. Just thought I'd let you know as all of you that helped me with this DJ/mixing issue really got me over my final hurdle. THANK YOU!

    iMac, 20-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo
    Accessory kit
    2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    500GB Serial ATA Drive
    SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
    ATI Radeon X1600/128MB VRAM
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    Estimated ship: 3-5 business days
    Delivered within 5 business days after shipping

    AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll
    Estimated ship: 1-2 business days
    Delivered within 5 business days after shipping

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2005
    Posts
    4,702
    Looks awesome! 500GB drive, 2GB SDRAM! You're set! So glad you got the info you needed from Mac-Forums! ]:>secretly jealous<

    Thought these may be useful:

    http://www.pure-mac.com/music.html

    http://flernk.blogspot.com/2006/07/g...switchers.html

    http://paulstamatiou.com/2005/12/19/...ould-download/

    http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ :biohazard

  15. #15

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Congratulations!

    That's one sweet machine!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. garage band
    By wacka in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 05:19 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 12:13 PM
  3. Garage Band
    By LogicBox in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 11:14 AM
  4. Help With Garage Band
    By Larry Bird in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 12:51 PM
  5. Garage Band HELP!
    By Thomas2043 in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 05:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •