Thread: Gps (maps)

alexus
    Gps (maps)
    Hello,

I'm looking for GPS solution for my Mac, on PC i used to have Microsoft Streets and Trips, or Microsoft Maps and I also had GPS that would connect through USB, and it would help me determinate where on map I am right now and help me to make trips to my destination...

is there anything similar to Mac? preferably where i could use my existing USB GPS receiver?

Thanks
    :dive:

Specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz (white), iPod Photo 40GB, iPod Nano 4GB
    Quote Originally Posted by alexus
    Hello,

I'm looking for GPS solution for my Mac, on PC i used to have Microsoft Streets and Trips, or Microsoft Maps and I also had GPS that would connect through USB, and it would help me determinate where on map I am right now and help me to make trips to my destination...

is there anything similar to Mac? preferably where i could use my existing USB GPS receiver?

Thanks
    :dive:
    i just switched and have been asking the same question. apparently mac is really lacking in the mapping software department.

since i have a macbook, i just have my PC only GPS and streets 2006 hooked up through the XP side (using boot camp) for mapping stuff. i dont think there is a much better solution than that (assuming you are running on an intel mac). i have also heard that there is an application called "route 66" for PC and MAC, but from what i could find from a quick googling of it, it looks iffy at best. nothing like streets for sure.

if anyone else here has any advice on this topic, i would love to hear it.

alexus
    my mac isn't intel i'm waiting for apple to release intel core duo 2 then i'll get mackbook untill then i'm using my ibook g4... and i cant find that route 66 software anywhere and i've been looking for it for a while..

Specs:
    my mac isn't intel i'm waiting for apple to release intel core duo 2 then i'll get mackbook untill then i'm using my ibook g4... and i cant find that route 66 software anywhere and i've been looking for it for a while..
    http://www.gps4fun.com/main_route66.php

looks like the company (whose site can be found at www.66.com) is now focusing on mobile mapping software (cell phones, PDAs etc), so the latest version might be 2004. i could be wrong, but that is sort of what i gathered from the quick search i did.

for all of the crap that MS gets (often rightly so, don't get me wrong), they had the mapping software figured out. streets is a great app, beats everyone else easily.

alexus
    anyone here who owns route 66? for mac?

Specs:
    anyone here who owns route 66? for mac?
    I just came across this, maybe it is more like what you are looking for:

www.routebuddy.com

alexus
    did you tried that?

MacHeadCase
    Which USB GPS receiver do you own, alexis? My guess is that the software to use would depend on your GPS device but I could be wrong. A friend of mine used a GPS device for his trip to Austria last summer and he uses a Mac too...

Thread Information