New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Firefox & 10.4.7

Thread Closed

Murker

Since upgrading my 12 laptop and G5 to Tiger 10.4.7, Firefox 1.5.0.6 no longer processes clicks on certain links. For example, in Amazon, after clicking on Your Account, none of the links on the account page work. Each one normally requires a popup window so I can enter my user name and password. The same page worked fine before the Tiger upgrade, and my Firefox preferences do not block pop-ups or any scripting.

I also tried it with my Paypal account, and the links leading to a pop-up entry window didnt work there either. I have a Panther 10.3.9 install on another hard disk. Firefox works as expected in Amazon, etc. with the G5 when booted from Panther.

I have deleted preferences and tried earlier versions of Firefox (to 1.5.0.1). I have done a completely fresh install of Firefox without extensions after fully deleting Firefox and the Firefox folder in Application Support. Nothing works with 10.4.7.

But Safari and all other new browsers I tested still work with Amazon, etc. as expected in 10.4.7, and all versions of Firefox I tried in 10.3.9 work correctly.

Im stumped. Anyone have any ideas?
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

did you turn off the block pop-ups in safari?

Murker

Not sure what message you were replying to.

I have a problem with Firefox and you're replying about Safari. I mentioned that Safari WORKED but that Firefox stopped working in specific situations after an upgrade.
Murker

I now realize that the problem only occurs on links that lead to https encrypted pages.

New test users on both computers that use the same copy of Firefox and 10.4.7 don't have the problem, so somewhere along the line the settings for encrypted pages got munged. But where? In Firefox app support user settings? Or in the tiger User's internet settings?

Hmmm, this may require a silly hat and a large magnifying glass...
Murker

Somewhere along the line my firewall settings got changed to block port 443 for Firefox. Port 443 is for secure pages. Deleted the rule and now Firefox works as it should.
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Good to hear you got it fixed. I was scratching my head on that one as Firefox works great on all those URL's here in Tiger. Thanks for posting the fix for the problem as it might help others in the future!!

Thread Closed

« Firefox Question | I did something stupid-Help recovering iChat please! »