New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Gaming on a macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BlueBacchus

BlueBacchus is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD

Ok, so I think to myself now after 4 years of wanting to play Warcraft 3, what better time than to game it on my new macbook. However as that thought crossed my mind it gave me cold shivers down my neck. Should I be worried that playing Warcraft 3 on my MacBook might actually damage it? Wanted to see how other fellow macbook owners and mac owners in general feel towards gaming on ther mac. Note that I just want to play Warcraft 3 and maybe, and a big maybe wish to try my hands on Age of Mythology. As you can tell I am big fan of RTS. :miner:

My Avatar says it all.
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

im pretty confident in saying that running a game will not "damage" your macbook in any means, after all, Warcraft 3 (a game I also love) is designed to be work with a Mac anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
bishopazrael

bishopazrael can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/

I hate to say it but I'd be amazed if WoW works on your lappy at all. You dont have near what it needs in terms of vram. But try it and see.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, sorry - wrong.

Of course it will run, the question is how good do you want the graphics to be and can you put up with slowdowns in very crowded areas?

Check out this video of WoW running on a 2Ghz Macbook:

http://www.mactechnews.de/images/con.../Videos/v5.mp4
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Intel GMA950 =/= video gaming card

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that - for casual gamers the macbook is more than capable of playing games.

I play quite a lot of games on mine and it runs them really well.
But I don't keep up with the latest and greatest releases, so it doesn't bother me than Oblivion for example will most likely suck on the Intel GMA950.

As long as I can play the occasional older fps or the occasional strategy game, it's a good enough gaming card for me
QUOTE Thanks
BlueBacchus

Folks, it is not WoW I want to play, but Warcraft 3.

My Avatar says it all.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Drat, well we certainly got carried away there

Well there doesn't seem to be a universal binary version of warcraft 3 out yet, so it won't run very well on your intel mac. (It's optimized for PowerPC)

But Blizzard always includes bother mac & windows versions of games, so if you install boot camp and run it there, it should run perfectly (at least until blizzard releases a patch for intel macs).
QUOTE Thanks
BlueBacchus

Alright sweet thx.

My Avatar says it all.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Warcraft 3 will work. I have a G4 Ti Powerbook (specs in my sig) and it plays W3 on full detail no problem.

EDIT: sorry, forgot you mentioned MacBook, haha.. It will probably run a bit slower because, of course, the code is written for PPC and Rosetta has to emulate it, but it will work. And of course, you can use Bootcamp to run XP to play it.
QUOTE Thanks
BlueBacchus

Thx

My Avatar says it all.
QUOTE Thanks
tukewl4u720

tukewl4u720 is on a distinguished road

Sims 2 works good on the low graphic settings (which are still awesome), Age of Mythology works great, perfect. Civilization 3 works great. Those are the games i've got and i've had only great experience.

I'm the only one in my family with a Mac. sigh.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

I remember seeing a video of someone playing WOW on a MacBook with 2GB of RAM. It ran pretty good, but I wasn't sure as to what he had his settings on.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana92fan

nirvana92fan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB Memory, 500 GB RAM, 256 MB Graphics

Ya I play WC3 on my Intel iMac all the time. It works fine. I know you only have a macbook but still, I think it will work good. Don't waste your time downloading bootcamp. Just download the patch from Blizzard.
QUOTE Thanks
Bilobrkster

Bilobrkster is on a distinguished road

I read on an other forum that you can set the integrated videocard in the Macbook to "work with" 128 MB RAM in BIOS but they were talking about a PC not a MAC. Is this possible on a MAC?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« VLC Media Player | OS X 10.4 Problem Xtensis Fusion & Quark »