New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Microsoft Office 2004 for mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

Through my school (indiana university) we are able to download certain software for macs or pc. Firefox, Norton Antivirus, Microsoft Office, et al are a few of the standards that are provided. If I am running a new Macbook will there be a conflict between the emulated version of Microsoft Office and my Intel processor ?

I havent tried it (my macbook is still on its way...) or experienced any problems, I am just trying to determine how I will be getting all the essential programs and tools for anything I will need at school.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Office may run a bit slower, but I have not noticed a difference on my wifes Intel iMac. Max out the RAM in your Mac, if you have not already, and you should be ok.

QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

I got 1gb of ram installed, hopefully that will be enough. Otherwise probably around x-mas time i will up the ram once more.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Yeah even typing in Office is slow, but what can you do. You might want to take a look at the free open-source equivalent called OpenOffice (I think the OS X version is called NeoOffice). One alternative is to run Parallels or Boot Camp. For basic school stuff, I'd recommend using Parallels. It lets you run Windows within a Window in OS X, so you can have fast and easy access to your windows apps. That's what I'm currently doing for my college programs that require XP.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

See, my wife has been using Word and Excel extensively on her new iMac and they have not been anywhere near what I would call slow. They are at least as fast as on my Quad....

QUOTE Thanks
devo

i'm actually loving open office right now, fantastic!
QUOTE Thanks
studio34

studio34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06

Office 2004 runs really well on my new iMac but I have 2GB of RAM. I usually have multiple Excel and Word files open as well as Entourage and I flip through files, cut and paste, and edit just as fast as my Windows PC. I've looked at Open Office and it is fast, but I think I am too used to MS Office to make the switch (plus I received MS Office 2004 for free).
QUOTE Thanks
iRizzo

Are we talking about Office:Mac?? I need something to type in for college but don't want to install Boot Camp.
QUOTE Thanks
studio34

studio34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06

Yep. Office for Mac. Version 2004.

Nice and cheap for students, though Open Office is cheaper.

Any comment from anyone on compatibility between Open Office and Word and Excel? Though I am happy with MS Office for Mac, I'd like to know that I could work just as well in an alternate. I've tested the beta for the new Office 2007 for Windows and it uses an XML file format that produces a much smaller file size. If I could retain compatibility with MS Office by using Open Office when my work eventually switches to Mac Office 2007, I would be very happy.
QUOTE Thanks
Marl Huss

Marl Huss will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

I have tried the Office for Mac on the iMac at a retailer (standard 512mb) and it was great, just as fast as on my Pentium 3ghz, 1gb RAM system if not a bit faster at some tasks.

I cannot see a problem with it, I also prefer it to Open Office, just feels more complete and probably because it has not caused me headaches over reliability, though that is Open Office on windows not mac.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have used OpenOffice 2.0 to work on files that came from Microsoft Office itself. It is pretty good for Excel files, and reasonably good for Word files. It still messes up Word files with lots of embedded graphics. They don't show up in the right places, if at all. However, for average day-to-day documents, I have found that I can edit them in OpenOffice, write them back in Microsoft Office's format, and they are completely usable for my Windows-constrained colleagues.

BTW, you are right about file size. HUGE difference. OpenOffice's native format is about 50% to 75% smaller for the same content as MS Office's. So, when I am working away on my files on my machine, I keep them in the native format, and only "export" to MS Office format when I need to "publish" them to co workers.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Marl Huss

Marl Huss will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

Oh one warning about OpenOffice some things such as embeding video files in thier powerpoint equivalent will not appear if you try it on Microsoft Powerpoint.

So im not sure if it has similar issues on over programs but if you need the files to be the same at home as at work its something to bare in mind.
QUOTE Thanks
Wedge

Office works fine on our 17" iMac with 2GB of Ram. Tried the other programs for 30 days and decided that MS Office provided the highest level of productivity for us.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No sound on any web browser | Safari font problem in OS X Tiger, Please help! »