New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iMacs for use in small business

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eckloss

Grettins n such.

Newbie iMac user.

I own and operate a cellular phone business. I have 3 locations in 3 different cities, and live in a 4th city.

Can I start a general "is this even possible, and if so, how?" discussion here...

I'd like to switch all the stores from pcs to iMacs. Not only for space savings and cosmetic appeal, but for security and stability as well.

Currently, at the end of the day, each store faxes me a couple pages worth of closing numbers and receipts. Then, at home, i go thru each one and consolidate the info into an Excel spreadsheet.

Id like to have the ability for each location to have access to the same iDisk so that they may open a spreadsheet, input their numbers, and save it. Then I can access those files as well from wherever i might be, either one of the stores or at home with my iMac.

Id also like to set up private networks for chatting between the stores and myself.

simply, how?

any help here?

one concern is i dont want each store's imac to have access to things the shouldnt. very basic idisk access should be enough.

finally, can i, from my home location, remotely call up the iMacs iSight cam so I can snoop and see what my employees are up to at each store?

phew...

e.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would take a differnet approach. I would see what point of sale software Apple is using in thier stores and see if they are all connected up.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

I think the best approach is to simply set up their Macs to "rsync" with your's at home or with a dedicated server at home (you can build one out of an old machine). Rsync can use SSH to incrementally backup whatever files/directories that you choose. You can schedule the jobs via /etc/crontab.

If you went this route, it would be a very fast (since incremental backups are done), secure, free and reliable solution. I currently have my computers backed up this way at home and it works great. I also have a script that runs once a week to backup the backup files.

At the end of the day, they would simply have to make sure the files are saved properly on their end and the script would "push" the changes in the files to your machine at home.
QUOTE Thanks
eckloss

many thanks folks. much appriciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karudzo
I think the best approach is to simply set up their Macs to "rsync" with your's at home or with a dedicated server at home (you can build one out of an old machine). Rsync can use SSH to incrementally backup whatever files/directories that you choose. You can schedule the jobs via /etc/crontab.

If you went this route, it would be a very fast (since incremental backups are done), secure, free and reliable solution. I currently have my computers backed up this way at home and it works great. I also have a script that runs once a week to backup the backup files.

At the end of the day, they would simply have to make sure the files are saved properly on their end and the script would "push" the changes in the files to your machine at home.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Missing Sync Universal for Pocket PC? | Office Problems »