New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Any Camino users here?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

I finally gave Camino a shot after a few recommendations by other Mac users...and I really like it! I'm a huge Firefox fan, but Camino feels SO much faster on my Intel Mini, plus I like some of the little things about it better - nicer GUI buttons, kill button is on the tab instead of all the way on the right, folders within the bookmark toolbar folder, etc.

One question I have is about security. I know that Firefox is pretty secure and it seems that Camino is too, especially since it's part of the Mozilla Foundation. Is is safe enough to use as my default browser? What I don't understand is why there is both a Firefox and a Camino - from the same foundation!

Anyway, if you haven't tried Camino out and you are a Firefox user or aren't satisfied with Safari, give it a shot. Here's the link:

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

It's certainly safe enough to use, though if you're going for speed and security, Opera 9 beats out both Firefox and Camino at the moment. Plus, it passes the Acid2 test.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

There both from the same foundation, but Camino has a better Mac feel to it. If you like Camino, this is a must.http://pimpmycamino.com/preference-panes/camitools/
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor
It's certainly safe enough to use, though if you're going for speed and security, Opera 9 beats out both Firefox and Camino at the moment. Plus, it passes the Acid2 test.
I'm giving Opera a try as I type this. Not bad! I didn't really care for the Windows version of Opera, but it's not too bad on a Mac. It's definately faster, even when resizing the window. Ho-hum, I'll have to play with Camino and Opera today to see which I like better.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

I've been using it most exclusively for the last few months. I like it alot. I just wish it didn't sacrifice accuracy for speed.
QUOTE Thanks
zal

zal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)

i'm fire fox for life
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, camino all the way baby!

I can't wait for them to integrate spell-checking...

My spelling has improved a ton since I started using Safari (and since I started posting here far too much ).

I think it's already available in nightly builds, so it shouldn't be long now!
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

I'm using it over Bon Echo right now, because i had a skin on my Mac, which makes most Apps look like iTunes 5+ and its look nicer with Camino then Bon Echo, also Camino is very fast(however i think Echo is also very fast) also with Bon Echo i feel i'm fighting MS's IE and a that feel "right" but i
QUOTE Thanks
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy is on a distinguished road

I made the switch from FF over to Camino about a week ago. If you use FF over a long period to time, without closing it out, it really becomes a resource hog. I also was a HUGE fan of FF on pc, and initially used FF exclusively on my new mac. But once I tried Camino for a while, I like it as much or more.

1 thing though, the popup blocking isnt as good as FF. I do have Camitools, but even so, there are times I get popups. For instance, go here

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...igion_tabs.htm

Click on any tab and I almost always get a popup. Even trying to add them to the filter set does no good. Any ideas? I get no popups with FF.

I did download Opera last night, but the layout looks kind of confusing. Id tried it for PC a few times and never stuck with it more than a few minutes.
QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Erudite.Warrior has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoodaddy
I made the switch from FF over to Camino about a week ago. If you use FF over a long period to time, without closing it out, it really becomes a resource hog. I also was a HUGE fan of FF on pc, and initially used FF exclusively on my new mac. But once I tried Camino for a while, I like it as much or more.

1 thing though, the popup blocking isnt as good as FF. I do have Camitools, but even so, there are times I get popups. For instance, go here

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...igion_tabs.htm

Click on any tab and I almost always get a popup. Even trying to add them to the filter set does no good. Any ideas? I get no popups with FF.

I did download Opera last night, but the layout looks kind of confusing. Id tried it for PC a few times and never stuck with it more than a few minutes.
Another fan of Camino here. I was going to say I NEVER get pop-ups. However, I went to site above and sure enough I got one pop-up. Not sure how the website is getting around it though.

Camino is fast, simple, and has a great layout. The only drawback is a lack of skins (compared to FF) however, most of the FF skins are ugly so it is not a big deal (to me).
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Interesting info here. So far I'm very happy just using Safari
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I used it when I was running 10.3x on my mac mini because Safari was kind of slow. My old 1.33ghz iBook with 10.4 and my MacBook Pro run Safari great, so no real reason.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac
What I don't understand is why there is both a Firefox and a Camino - from the same foundation!
It's optimized for OS X. This page answers many Camino questions.
Quote:
. . . Camino and Firefox both grew out of the browser element of Mozilla, therefore it is incorrect to think of Camino as the Macintosh version of Firefox especially since it actually predates the Macintosh version of Firefox.
Mozillazine runs a bunch of forums on Firefox, SeaMonkey, Camino and Thunderbird. It's run by volunteers, not Mozilla.

This link will take you to the forums. The Camino section is about halfway down.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

I didn't get any popups on that site, I'm using a nightly though. If you want to add themes, try this. I can't figure it out but...........hhttp://pimpmycamino.com/applications/caminicon/ttp://pimpmycamino.com/applications/caminicon/
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

Mace will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 1.83 MBP

I flip flop between firefox and camino, right now FF is locked in the dock. I think what did it for me was finding some plugins that actually applied to me. Methinks I'll give opera 9 a whirl tho.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« photoshop no-more? | Safari - photo resizing »