New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Automator slowness

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

I'm not one to complain about sluggish applications, but having used my 12"powerbook 1.5GHz 512mb RAM for nearly a year now, everything has worked as expected but I am finding automator almost unbearable to use!

You're all probably thinking "Get more RAM!" which I do plan on doing when I can afford it, but I don't have this problem in other applications, which is why it's annoying me. Basically, when I'm working on a simple workflow (about 7 actions) the whole app grinds to a halt and even worse grinds the whole OS to a halt. What is it about automator that is so demanding? This is also why I'm annoyed because I wouldn't mind if it was doing anythig particularly taxing!

I know it's a bit of a rant, but I'm still wondering if anyone knows if this is a known problem or if there is a fix?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Last week I finally had a use for Automator. I found the same problem you did with about the same number of actions. I found saving my work, quiting and restarting Automator helped.

This Apple discussion says the same thing, with a tip to clear the cache on restart; http://discussions.apple.com/thread....700273&#700273

As a professional programmer, I really can't see how this product got released. Very poor user response rate is unacceptable. Hopefully Apple will fix it in the future. Can you say OS X 10.5.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ID3 song tags...need to add them onto ~1700 songs :( | File Extensions »