New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Library: iPhoto vs. Photoshop Elements

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ferdball

Okay, so I have about 16 gigs of pictures on a Maxtor 300GB external USB drive. Seems like the best place for it, right? I mean, its portable; I can hook it up to any computer; its 480 Mega-bits-per-second fast; and its better than using the C: drive.

Photoshop Elements does a nice job of making a library of it. It takes the hierarchical folder structure that my Canon software puts it in, and adds some nice metadata features. I can rate pictures from 0-5 stars, and can tag them with names or events.

The one thing that PE does that iPhoto does not, is leave well enough alone. 16GB of pictures is just fine where it is. Photoshop will go ahead and make nice little thumbnails, add metadata, and create your little library. But iPhoto will suck in the 16GB onto my little Macintosh HD, thus creating two full-sized copies.

By the way, an import of this size will take about 8 hours. Nine, if you're playing with other programs.

iMovie does the same with movie files. This can be costly since one 60 minute DV tape can take up about 13GB worth of disk space.

So what's the benefit of having these files local? Is it faster to use files on the local drive as opposed to the USB 2.0 drive? Is there a way I can have iPhoto just reference the raw file from its original source?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

You can put the iPhoto library wherever you want.
If you have iPhoto 6 (latest version) you can also just have it reference your current folder setup: Just go to preferences-> advanced and uncheck the 'copy to iPhoto library' checkbox.
QUOTE Thanks
Ferdball

Roger that. I couldn't find the same in iMovie. Are you able to keep the raw videos off the local hard drive also?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, just save the entire project to the external drive, and it should keep any video you import along with it.
QUOTE Thanks
Ferdball

Ended up deleting my iPhoto library and starting over. Might do the same for iMovie. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stuff it Expander Problem | compression program »