New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Lightroom VS Aperature

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mstruvdisaster

Anybody have experiences with either/or, both? How do they compare? I heard Aperature takes alot of memory? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first mac and i'm a photographer that needs a good program to manage 60 gigs of photos. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Lightroom is still in Beta.

That noted, I'd say Aperture still has it beat currently, but based only on stability. Lightroom has a few more features, I like the layout better, and it seems to run faster on my Powerbook. The white balance, color correction, and effects seem to look cleaner, too.

So, in my opinion, once Lightroom is stable and released, I think it will be better than Aperture.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah I really like Lightroom, although Im a bit worried to see what the cost will be, but I doubt it will be more than Aperture which like was mentioned above.. has some serious hardware requirements.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Yeah... I've tried both... as of now Aperture has the win. But that could change if Apple doesn't work out some of it's shortcomings quickly.

Overall nobody can say whether Lightroom will beat Aperture in the long run... Apple has shown they can get serious about their pro software. FCP killed Adobe Premiere on the Mac platform and Aperture could easily do the same... It's just a matter of how bad Apple wants it.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

At the risk of starting a religious war here (please, no), doesn't Photoshop CS2 handle pretty much everything Aperture can, or am I missing the boat? I thought the BIG thing about Aperture was its ability to deal with RAW format transparently. I believe that CS2 does this too, and at about the same price, it would seem to me that it delivers more value overall. Opinions? ...yes, I am a Photoshop user!! :-)

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Nah no war.. you're comparing apples with oranges here Photoshop is a photo editing tool, while Lightroom and Aperture are photo management tools and they do nodestructive editing which Photoshop definitely does. Photoshop and Lightroom are completely different tools
QUOTE Thanks
mstruvdisaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Nah no war.. you're comparing apples with oranges here Photoshop is a photo editing tool, while Lightroom and Aperture are photo management tools and they do nodestructive editing which Photoshop definitely does. Photoshop and Lightroom are completely different tools
what he said. How long do these beta's usually take to fully develope? I'm just curious when i should anticipate the release of aperature. So far I love the features lightroom has, but then again i've never personally used aperature so I can't really compare the tow.
QUOTE Thanks
JamieDubS

JamieDubS is on a distinguished road

Just found this thread and I just recently converted to a macbook from a dell so I have finally made the switch. Growing up on windows and doing photography all I know is light room and I can navigate quite well with it. I received the aperture program and I really do not like it compared to light room.... before I fully give it up and switch back to light room I wanted to see if anyone else thinks that aperture is a better product that light room and why is that?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDubS View Post
Just found this thread and I just recently converted to a macbook from a dell so I have finally made the switch. Growing up on windows and doing photography all I know is light room and I can navigate quite well with it. I received the aperture program and I really do not like it compared to light room.... before I fully give it up and switch back to light room I wanted to see if anyone else thinks that aperture is a better product that light room and why is that?
This has been discussed Ad Nauseum. Do a forum search using the search tools and you will see.

Bottomline IMO, you like Lightroom and are used to it, stick with it. No reason at all to switch to Aperture. I use Aperture BTW.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
JamieDubS

yeah I did a few searches for threads and that is how I found this thread. If anyone finds them I would greatly appreciate a link. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Agree with Razor. I've used both since their inception, but have always liked LR more. As for why, I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Some feel they can develop a better workflow with one vs the other, so that's up to you to decide which.

As for the technical side of things, I can say for sure that LR uses a MUCH better noise removal algorithm and that the colors produced are a lot more accurate when rendering from a color profile.

On the other hand, Aperture mops the floor with LR's head when it comes to its cloning tool. I also much prefer LR's cataloging and file structure capabilities.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
JamieDubS

Yeah thanks ill probally go back with Lightroom I just wanted to know if there were any other advantages of using Aperature since it is a new program for me and I got a free copy from a friend. I love light room I have been working with 2.7 I see that 4.0 is out now so im sure there are some major upgrades as well.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDubS View Post
Yeah thanks ill probally go back with Lightroom I just wanted to know if there were any other advantages of using Aperature since it is a new program for me and I got a free copy from a friend. I love light room I have been working with 2.7 I see that 4.0 is out now so im sure there are some major upgrades as well.
Please take note:

Since you're a new member to our forums, I'm going to just mention this to you regarding our guidelines (which you can read in my sig).....

There is no such thing as a "free copy" of Aperature. What you have is a pirated copy. It's nice to have friends but let's remember that Apple is trusting you to do the right thing. Do yourself a favor and destroy the copy of Aperature and buy Light Room from Amazon.com. LINK

Thanks for your cooperation.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Office 2011 SP2 | Looking for a kids game »