natoryy
    Virus Protection
    I know there's the whole "Macs don't get Viruses" thing...I don't really believe it though.

Is there any sort of (GOOD!) virus protection software out there for Macs that's free downloadable? Or does Tiger come with any?
    If not to those two questions, where can some be purchased and for how much?

I've done some heavy research on all of this but haven't found much anything.
    :dummy:

Specs:
    iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
    www.clamxav.com

But Macs CAN get viruses, but it WONT affect it at all. so there is no point if your just running a mac. If your networked or sharing files with PC's then It would be easier for your pc friend so you don't infect him/her.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by natoryy
    I know there's the whole "Macs don't get Viruses" thing...I don't really believe it though.
    Well, you are correct to not believe that.
    No, there aren't any viruses for Mac OS X.
    Problem is, some idiots tend to read that as Macs just plain don't get them... and then start telling this to people. Just like how Macs don't crash or freeze often, people tend to turn that into a "whisper down the lane" exercise and it becomes that 'Macs don't crash'.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
    Well the fact of the matter is a mac getting a virus that affects it is very rare. and yes, macs almost never crash!
    MacMania55

cosc121
    Is there any sort of (GOOD!) virus protection software out there for Macs that's free downloadable? Or does Tiger come with any?
    If not to those two questions, where can some be purchased and for how much?

I've done some heavy research on all of this but haven't found much anything.
    :dummy:
    I know there's one called 'McAfee Virex for Macintosh', you can get it from McAfee.
    Click here for more info

It 's selling for $36.55

skateit12
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMania55
    Well the fact of the matter is a mac getting a virus that affects it is very rare. and yes, macs almost never crash!
    iunno bout u guys but my mac crashes like once a week

natoryy
    Well that's sucky...do you have a virus or something? I don't want to get a Mac if it's going to do that...

And this McAfee - is it worth it, does it work well with the OS, is it needed? Is there a free alternative?

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by skateit12
    iunno bout u guys but my mac crashes like once a week
    Looking at your specs I can see why. You need at least 512MB of RAM in that machine with 10.4, 1Gb would be MUCH better.

Well that's sucky...do you have a virus or something? I don't want to get a Mac if it's going to do that...
    No, he doesn't have a virus, there are currently none out there for OSX. Any computer can crash, much of it depends on what kind of hardware you have, what you are running and how well you take care of it and maintain it.

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    not to be a jerk but this dudes computer is a bit old and does not have enough ram to properly run his operating system. i highly suggest an upgrade in your amount of ram and then i am almost 100% positive your computer will stop crashing
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

natoryy
    Ah. Okay - I plan to get more RAM than that anyway.
    Thanks for the help - I was worried there for a sec.

Ah. Okay - I plan to get more RAM than that anyway.
    Thanks for the help - I was worried there for a sec.
    yeah ram always or most of the time helps the machine if you have a lot of workload.

Thread Information