New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail only receives messages when opened

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Mail 2.07 on OSX, about a week or so now I only receive messages once...when opening the application. I do not receive any new mail again unless I close the app and reopen -or- take the accounts off line and then online again.

Yes, the accounts are set up correctly.
Yes, they are set to automatically get mail every 5 min
Yes, I checked in the connection doctor and it shows fine

I even brought the computer to the Genius Bar, they were stumped. I see others at mac.com support site discussions having similar problems but no solutions have been found.

Anyone here with ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Well it would be tedious, and it might not work, but it is worth a shot. Save all your mail (make a copy of everything on your Hard Drive). Then take off your account from Mail. Start from scratch. Open Mail and register again. After you have all your prefferences done, move all your mail back.

Now this is only an idea that I have it might not work at all, and you might loose your Inbox. Try looking for some more answers before trying this. I would hate to have been the one person that lost your mail.

Try Google. Type in "Mac Mail not refreshing Inbox" someone should have the answer. If you can't find anything on Google then I would call up Apple Care and see if they can help.

Hope everything works out!

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Well if you are able to receive messages when you first open the account or take the accounts offline/online---then I would suggest uninstalling Mail and installing it back. Because we know that you do not have any errors as far as setup goes to receive mail since you can receive them when you first open the account.

So I would suggest uninstalling, reinstall, and start from scratch. Plus keep in mind that your mail server you are using...may simply just take time to let your computer know...there is "new" mail out there.

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Thanks for the replies.

dimagex20, I did exactly what you suggested. After creating new email accounts in the mail application it behaved exactly the same.

Youthpastor, as a last resort I will have to do that...

My next plan is to set up a new user and email using one of my wifes email accounts to see if it behaves in the same manner. Will do that tonight, if it occurs then I think we can come to the conclusion it is definately the application and not a setting somewhere in my user account.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Have you tried a permissions repair? It could also just be your mail provider, though that is not the most likely issue.
I would try repairing permissions, and then go from there.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Thanks D3v1lb0y,
That is one of the things the Genius did. He booted the powermac from a portable drive with OSX and ran the disk utilities checking for any problems and also repaired permissions.

perhaps I should use Entourage :p
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Well, I did nothing to it. Changed no settings, changed nothing what so ever. Today it started working properly again...

Go figure.
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Haha, that's life for ya.

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thinking about bootcamp... | iMovie to Final Cut Pro..... »