New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Help!! I Cant Install Anything

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gotsticcyrice

I Just Got A IMAC and its used... well i downloaded aim for the mac and i got it ,but the problem is that when i try to install it , it opens with microsoft excell and saids that it cant read the format....please tell me wat to do ...also microsoft excell is set as the default.. how and wat program should i use?
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

I don't know the answer BUT aim for mac is HORRIBLE. it crashes often, i suggest iChat. Apples version of AIM.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

You probably need to download stuffit expander first...
It's kind of like winzip...

But you don't actually need to download aim: iChat should be installed on your mac and that's aim compatible.

Just enter your screen name and password and you should be all set!
QUOTE Thanks
Gotsticcyrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotsticcyrice
I Just Got A IMAC and its used... well i downloaded aim for the mac and i got it ,but the problem is that when i try to install it , it opens with microsoft excell and saids that it cant read the format....please tell me wat to do ...also microsoft excell is set as the default.. how and wat program should i use?
thanks Everyone For ya Help ..... aight one more thing ... any good programs for mac other than kazza or winmx?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
thanks Everyone For ya Help ..... aight one more thing ... any good programs for mac other than kazza or winmx?
Someone already beat me to telling you to download Stuffit Expander to open AIM. I also agree, use iChat for AIM as the AOL version for OSX is not very good.

There is Limiwire and many other Bit Torrent type applications. I really don't use the file sharing services much at all, so Limewire works fine for the little I use it. Someone else will suggest something else as I am not into it that much.
QUOTE Thanks
Gotsticcyrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
You probably need to download stuffit expander first...
It's kind of like winzip...

But you don't actually need to download aim: iChat should be installed on your mac and that's aim compatible.

Just enter your screen name and password and you should be all set!
how would i check to see if i already got the expander ?maybe its not set as default for programs to open with ? and how who i change the default?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you have a newer Mac that came with Tiger or you did a FRESH INSTALL of Tiger, you do not have Stuffit Expander. They stopped including it with Tiger in favor of built in Zip and Unzip. Mac OS is a bit different than windows and if the program is anywhere on an HDD it will find it and run it. That is one thing about even early versions of old MAC OS I loved.
QUOTE Thanks
Gotsticcyrice

I have a IMAC and its clear white ..any one kno wat OS version it is or how would i find out
QUOTE Thanks
Gotsticcyrice

and it comes with about 35GB and the format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of the screen.

Then hit 'about this mac' and it should tell you which OS version you're running.

Is it a bulbous CRT screen white iMac? Or is it a flat screen iMac with a round base and LCD screen attached by a silver neck? Or is it the iMac where the entire computer is located behind the flat panel display?
QUOTE Thanks
Gotsticcyrice

i got the imac os x version 10.4.4 500mhz .... the machine model is power mac 2.2 ... and the screeen is not flat and the harddrive is behind the screen (internal ithink that wats its called )
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
i got the imac os x version 10.4.4 500mhz .... the machine model is power mac 2.2 ... and the screeen is not flat and the harddrive is behind the screen (internal ithink that wats its called )

You have OSX Tiger. You need to download Stuffit Expander. Let me find you a download link. BRB.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/182
QUOTE Thanks
Gotsticcyrice

its in the process of DL from stuffit.com is that str8? or do u have a better link
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

That is the right version. If you clicked Download it's the latest version. Just checked it to be sure

It comes in a DMG Disk Image. Click on it and it will mount on the desktop, then open the disk image. When it opens, double click to install it. Then your .sit files will open and expand.
QUOTE Thanks
Gotsticcyrice

wat do i do wit the installation file after im all done wit it i try to trash it but it saids is being use
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible to install apps on external HD | quick question re. bootcamp & games »