New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

PowerBook - New MSN Messenger for Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

patria

patria is on a distinguished road

does anyone know when the new msn messenger for mac will be out? it's out already the new windows messenger live, will there be any update for mac messenger? we needed webcam and video conversation!! is someone know any info of this?
QUOTE Thanks
2tone_punk

a read somewhere a while back that they are not going to be releasign any more msn messenger for mac's sorry i dont have written proof so i may just be think of some rubbish i read but try amsn some people have got the webcam working, i cnat but its possible.
QUOTE Thanks
plattypuss

plattypuss is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 2 Ghz

I also read that the next iChat will have msn on it
QUOTE Thanks
WizzKid

WizzKid is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac G5 - iPod Touch - iPod Video (30GB) - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen - Airport Extreme&Express

yea i use amsn but its not as good as windows msn interface sadly, but it does to webcam but not microphone!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Going2fast

Going2fast is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with 1GB ram

I'm also an aMSN user, its not bad. Took a bit to get the webcam to work but once it did was great.

I'll also add that ive too read somewhere that microsoft are not developing MAC Messenger any more. iChat being able to use MSN would be ace though. Any more info on that?

Hey I'm Andy, New to the Apple Mac world, Please Help me :mac:

MacBOOK Pro, 1GB ram
QUOTE Thanks
Darrensen

Darrensen is an unknown at this point

I already use iChat to communicate with MSN messenger via a Jabber protocol.
QUOTE Thanks
Daniel 1989 UK

MSN mac support got dropped a while back so there won't be any new versions. Its on version 5 but its basically the same as the Windows version except it dosen't have nudging,winking or webcam support it also looks alot nicer with the brushed metal theme.
QUOTE Thanks
jctapana

jctapana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5

So ...

Is there a way to have AUDIO and VIDEO communication between Mac and PC?

This is important to me: I convinced my reluctant wife to go Mac, based on the nice ads about iChat. So far, no communication has been possible with our PC relatives.

There are several reasons we don't like our nice (but useless) iMac G5, but this is Number 1.

Any help will be appreciated.

A Newbie (iMac G5 on Dec 05) but don't like it so far.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

http://www.mercury.to/index.php?page=Mac -- this may help you?

It is supposed to MSN compatible with webcam and a better UI.

What other problems are you encountering to make your experience less than desirable at the moment? What is making it useless?

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 1989 UK
MSN mac support got dropped a while back so there won't be any new versions. Its on version 5 but its basically the same as the Windows version except it dosen't have nudging,winking or webcam support it also looks alot nicer with the brushed metal theme.
Microsoft has not abandoned MSN support. There has been no official announcement...if there is one, do you care to link to it?

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattypuss
I also read that the next iChat will have msn on it
They also said iChat would do this in Tiger. I'll believe it when I see it

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
jctapana

jctapana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil
http://www.mercury.to/index.php?page=Mac -- this may help you?

It is supposed to MSN compatible with webcam and a better UI.

What other problems are you encountering to make your experience less than desirable at the moment? What is making it useless?

Vicky
Hi, thanks for your kind reply. I will try that Mercury software and "see" what happens.

About my other problems, I guess I will be posting them one by one in the newbie section, in order to keep things organized in here. They have to do with: user interface (very mouse dependant), MS Office files not 100% compatible with PC, managing files with Finder, Safari parental controls (a joke), can't access my bank's website from Safari, trouble with USB flash memory and the list goes on.

Sigh!!!!

I can´t switch back to PC (my laptop died). Selling the G5 now would mean losing money. Guess I'll have to take it easy for the moment and try to make peace with the Mac.

Regards.

A Newbie (iMac G5 on Dec 05) but don't like it so far.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

I'll agree somewhat the mac UI is mouse dependant but there are lots of keyboard shortcuts. Also Ctrl + F2 will enable keyboard navigation of menus.

Finder is not Windows Explorer and it will take some getting used to.

What parts of MS Office files are not PC compatible? I haven't experienced this yet and I use my Apple in a very windows-centric network at work so I'd be intrigued, and may have some tips.

Finally, have your tried Firefox for the Mac to see if it will work with your bank's website? Unfortunately there are a cluster of sites that still demand Microsoft Internet Explorer—and there are ways to spoof as IE.

Hopefully we can get someway along the path of resolving all these nasty things to make the Mac more useful than it is now.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
Darrensen

Darrensen is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
They also said iChat would do this in Tiger. I'll believe it when I see it
It does, you just need to download the jabber protocol.
QUOTE Thanks
chuckalicious

chuckalicious is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrensen
It does, you just need to download the jabber protocol.
So how do you do that and then make iChat work? I'd like that too
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Entourage save attachments in subfolders? | No Drag and Drop with Preview »