New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Deleting mail from server

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

richieg

richieg is on a distinguished road

I have mail setup to take down mail from my pop3 account. Upto recently I assummed that if I delete a mail on Mail it would delete from my server. However, when I went online to check my mail I found they were still all there.

I am using a dial up connection but was wondering is there a way to setup Mail to automatically delete from the server when a message is deleted?

Right now I have to go online and delete messages every so often as there is a space limit on my account
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

open mail go to mail/preferences, click the advanced tab above your account information and check the checkbox that says remove copy from server after retrieving message and pick right away from the drop down menu. thats it.
QUOTE Thanks
richieg

richieg is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestion but I only want to remove it from the server if i delete it not when I download it.

Is there any way to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
shetz

shetz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5

Well, the message in your mail and the message in your pop3 account are two separate entities. You can't (at least to my knowledge) execute a delete one, delete the other at the same time. You either delete them separately (via mail and by logging on to the pop3 account directly), or, if you want to manually empty your pop3 account, go to Mail>>>Preferences, Advanced tab on the Accounts, and press the Remove Now button to clear your pop3 account messages (or you could also set it right away, after a day, a week, etc. as Smackintosh suggested).

Hope this helps.

He who laughs last will often find that he has no one to laugh with.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari RAM usage | Learning Adobe Illustrator »