New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari: tabbed browsing and ad-blocking

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Aaargh, I say, and argggh again. The Safari programmers definitely need to change "cycle through tabs" from apple/shift/[ or ] to apple ` or option tab. This is driving me crazy. Oh, and something like AdBlock Plus would be nice...ah screw it, I'm installing Firefox again.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

it is the command key.
so you are giving up on learning an entirely new operating system, programs, keyboard shortcuts in 10 days???? thats cool?

okay, just keep using it and it will become second nature.

command + ` is already a keyboard shortcut so they cant use that. i forget what the other ones are for because im using an ibm thinkpad right now at my girls place.

oh and something like going to the safari menu and checking popup blocking should get rid of all your pop ups unless your going to Pr0n sites all the time and getting pup-unders which pop-unders are impossible to avoid with any program right now.

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
it is the command key.
so you are giving up on learning an entirely new operating system, programs, keyboard shortcuts in 10 days????
Nope, just on most of the included software*. The operating system is alright, but I was missing AdBlock Plus.

Quote:
okay, just keep using it and it will become second nature.
That's just the point, I _did_ get used to it, command tab cycles between apps, command ` cycles between different instances or windows of the same app.

Quote:
oh and something like going to the safari menu and checking popup blocking should get rid of all your pop ups unless your going to Pr0n sites all the time and getting pup-unders which pop-unders are impossible to avoid with any program right now.
Yeah, it got rid of pop-ups alright, but give AdBlock Plus a try. No more dancing, flashing, jumping banner ads!

* that includes the calculator, iWeb, iWork, iPhoto, iCal, Address Book and a couple others I can't remember right now. But the calculator, Safari and iWeb were the worst offenders. Yeah, I realize those were free, and my mini was cheap in comparison with a Quad G5, but ****...

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The Calculator works perfectally and does everything the one in Windows does.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
The Calculator works perfectally and does everything the one in Windows does.
OS X Calculator

OS X Calculator, advanced mode

PCalc3

PCalc3, advanced

Windows Calculator Plus

I'm really not asking much off a calculator, but if I enter
Code:
100+13%=
on the keyboard, then the result better be 113, to give one basic example. You might laugh, but I'm using this daily in a slightly more complex form; the routine is take unit price, times number of units, minus variable rebate x%, plus 13% (local lodging tax, to be specific).

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Not to give the impression that I dislike OSX, because I don't, in fact I rather love and should have switched years ago. Included apps that I love:

the dock, spotlight, itunes, preview, the finder's great, the always-on-top menu, and the OS in general. On the other hand, I could already scream in frustration over the lack of a cut function in finder.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

All the calculators you showed for windows were 3rd party ones...
I'm sure you can find 3rd party calc's for os x too?

As for the tab switching shortcut: I installed Safari stand and can now switch with the , + . keys.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
All the calculators you showed for windows were 3rd party ones...
Just the blue one is a calculator for Windows, and that one's free to download from the MS page.

Quote:
I'm sure you can find 3rd party calc's for os x too?
Yes, I did. PCalc 3, as displayed above. Oddly enough, PCalc 2 was included by Apple with Macs sold in the US and some other countries during 2002.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98
I'm really not asking much off a calculator, but if I enter
Code:
100+13%=
on the keyboard, then the result better be 113, to give one basic example. You might laugh, but I'm using this daily in a slightly more complex form; the routine is take unit price, times number of units, minus variable rebate x%, plus 13% (local lodging tax, to be specific).
I just downloaded PCalc and it does what you just said it couldn't do... do you have the most recent version, from January of this year?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

He was talking about a Percentage Key problem on OSX's calculator that must have happened sometime at 10.4.3 to now. It's fixed in 10.4.6. I did not even notice it was broke as I had been using my HP Graphing lately.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor
I just downloaded PCalc and it does what you just said it couldn't do
Yes, it does, that's why I downloaded it in first place. As opposed to this bug that was introduced into the calculator included with Mac OS X 10.4.3 and fixed with the latest update 10.4.6.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
As for the tab switching shortcut: I installed Safari stand and can now switch with the , + . keys.
Well, since I was quite satisfied with Ffx on the PC, I went and installed it on the mini, too. Once you've experienced the Web with AdBlock Plus, you don't want to browse without it ever again.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Open Office on MacBook Pro | MactheRipper to Toast 7 »