New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Will Apple Ever Stop with Universal?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ehmjay

ehmjay is an unknown at this point

My buddy is thinking of buying a mac and is having a tough time deciding between the MacBook Pro and the PowerBook. I recently bought a PowerBook and love it, however he raised an interesting question. Things are universal now in order to run on both intel and PPC, however is there a good chance that Apple will stop making universal applications so that my PowerBook wont be able to get the latest greatest software?

I said, if that did happen it wouldn't happen for at least 5 years...but now he's got me worried.

I'd hate to think I dropped 2 grand on this new computer, and then Apple gets all the PPC computers switched to intel and then in two years wont have software availible for the PPC.

Of course if apple eventually decides to drop universal a few years down the line I guess thats okay...but I bought this for university, and I want it to last through the 4 years.

Does anyone know what apple's stance on this is?
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Seeing as how they have been designing everything to run both PPC and Intel since they first developed OSX... I don't see them dropping PPC support anytime in the next 5 years or so... and beyond 5 years system requirements will be more of a problem for your PPC machines than universal binaries.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

yea universal apps wont be a problem for a good time yet, hopefully most people will keep the support up for a good while.

While im still relatively new to mac how long did people support 128k mac when PPC stuff came out?

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
lil

1994 saw the first 601 based Macs, with the Performas. Top of the line was the MC68040 CPU (from the 68K series) and was supported up until 2000 in some cases by Apple for the last Quadras and PowerBook 5xx series.

Generlly though, 1998/99 was the cut off point with OS 8.1 supporting 68040 Macs but Mac OS 8.5 being PPC only.

We will see PPC support until 2010 definitely. It's more an issue for the developers whether they support PPC. OS X 10.5 will definitely be PPC compatible and 10.6 should be, but will probably be the last PPC OS release.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

I think you should be good through the four years of college, and even if new programs don't come out, there are plenty now. But you need not worry for now.

As for your friend, tell him to get a MacBook Pro.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

2010 seems like a good guestimate like mentioned above. the main issue is going to be how long some companies are going to create 3rd party software as universal binaries

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
thadoggfather

thadoggfather is an unknown at this point

Will a meteor hit my house?
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

no, thats very unlikely.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unsubscribe link | Safari Rendering »