New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

question about backing up mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dopey423

dopey423 is on a distinguished road

when i copy the /users/username/library/mail folder onto a cd, will i be able to use the import feature on the mail program to import the accounts and emails?

TIA
mike
QUOTE Thanks
shetz

shetz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5

I recently formatted my Mac (to upgrade to Tiger), and seeing your post, I'm horror-struck (again) that this (archiving my Mail messages/mailbox) is something I forgot to do! I lost about a year's worth of mail because of my carelessness T_T". I'll stay tuned to the posts in this thread, so I'll know how to archive my mailbox(es) in the future, hehe.

peayce.

He who laughs last will often find that he has no one to laugh with.
QUOTE Thanks
dopey423

bump TTT
QUOTE Thanks
dopey423

Bump again
QUOTE Thanks
shetz

shetz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5

Lol, dopey. Here's a quick update that may or may not help you. I recently reinstalled Mail (if you check out the threads, you'll find my Mail "problem"), and after I had to create a "new" (the 'welcome to mail' prompt appeared, and I had to recreate my old account) account for myself, I figured that I'd have to reimport all my old stuff (by old stuff, I mean all the mail I've received since I was careless enough to not back up my previous emails T_T). So I did, and aside from having some problems with mail boxes that have the same names (inbox, outbox, etc.), it worked. I was able to import my mail messages from the '/users/username/library/mail' back into mail, under a new mailbox. I was just about to drag the respective contents into their respective 'boxes, when I thought to check the new inbox and sent items, and lo and behold...my stuff was already there (they must have been reloaded as soon as I finished re-making my new account)!

Anyway, beg pardon for the long-winded story. Bottom line: I was able to import the contents of the '/users/username/library/mail' back into Mail. I only did it once, but if it worked for me, there shouldn't be any reason that it won't work for you.

Hope this helps.

peayce.

He who laughs last will often find that he has no one to laugh with.
QUOTE Thanks
dopey423

thanks for the help. i tried that out and it worked for me as well =)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about Safari | emulator for mac os x »