Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Help me figure out Front Row & shared music
    I've been playing with filesharing today between my iMac Core Duo and my Windows XP laptop. I can set up music & movie sharing through iTunes easily, but Front Row on the iMac doesn't want to recognize the shared playlists at all. HOWEVER, if I have iTunes playing a song from the shared playlist, then open Front Row, it will let me go through and play the shared songs via the "Current Playing" section. I love the little iMac remote control and I think it'd be great to have all of my media on one computer so that I can share it with my iMac, but Front Row just isn't cooperating. Thoughts, comments, tips?

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    I also have all my media on one computer, but I keep it on my desktop as its easier for me. The simple solution to this problem would be to put all your media on your imac and then then share it with the windows laptop.. that is all i can say as I have no experience with front row. maybe somebody else here would be more helpful.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Specs:
    20 inch iMac Core Duo
    This review http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...ac-coreduo.ars says you cant do it, or that it didn't work for him.

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by playm0de
    This review http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...ac-coreduo.ars says you cant do it, or that it didn't work for him.
    Thanks! Glad to know I'm not the only one. It appears as if Apple has purposely disabled Front Row's access to shared music collections since I can access them as long as they're playing in iTunes initially. I've tried creating aliases to the networked file shares and playing them through iTunes/Front Row that way, but it ends up auto-copying the files over when you play them.

I think allowing Front Row have access to streaming would be great...you could buy a Mac Mini, hook it up to your TV with a minijack-to-stereo RCA cable for audio and use Apple's DVI-to-video adapter for composite or s-video and enjoy music & TV shows on your television. If you have a surround-sound receiver, you could add on an M-Audio Transit for 5.1 or enhanced stereo listening. If you use EyeTV, you could stream recorded shows from the iTunes library on the "server" mac to the Mini on top of your TV as well. Ah, so much potential.

Specs:
    iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
    hmm... that's weird. lemme check my front row now... no everything's all good with me

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindingLights
    hmm... that's weird. lemme check my front row now... no everything's all good with me
    You can play shared music files in Front Row? What kind of Mac are you running?

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Whoo-hoo! Mr. Jobs works fast! I posted my question at 9:18pm last night and today he announces that Front Row now has the ability to support shared music libraries accessible through iTunes. Now that's what I call service...I'm buying an Intel Mini!

toomuchicq
    i have a similar problem. I recently installed front row, and I have upgraded iTunes to latest version 7.01, am also running OS X 10.4.8. When I ran front row, it only recognized my podcasts. When I search for songs, it says No Songs in my iTunes library. But if I play the song from iTunes and launches Front Row, it is able to recognize the song that I am currently playing. Has anyone encounter similar problem? thanks a lot.

mine's all fine with music, however it only recognizes my mp4 movies not my other avi ones on my hard drive, it used to be fine but now says it cant find any shared movies whatsoever. Grr!

Thread Information