New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Myst Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ashelton3

ashelton3 is on a distinguished road

Why does installation and execution of Myst fail? I followed the instructions in the read me file but two of the files (or folders) required for installation are missing. Furthermore, when I try to execute the program 'Myst Masterpiece' I get the error 'You can'r open the application "%@" because it may be damaged or incomplete.' Does anyone know why this is happening?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Myst is a pretty old game series. For starters we would need to know:

- What exact Myst game you are working with?
- What Macintosh computer model you have (exact model)?
- What OS version it is running?

* Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Just from the appearance of the error, it looks like he or she may be trying to install the Windows version of Myst?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

That would make things difficult…especially if trying to install on a Mac partition! Hopefully at least a Windows partition or emulation.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I just went to their website and "Myst Masterpiece" is indeed Windows only. It might be available via a Steam download but of that I'm not sure. In any event, it was a great game for the PC: era 1999!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Ahh…"Myst Masterpiece"…I missed that detail.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ashelton3

ashelton3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Myst is a pretty old game series. For starters we would need to know:

- What exact Myst game you are working with?
- What Macintosh computer model you have (exact model)?
- What OS version it is running?

* Nick
The problem I am having is installing the game. I'm not at the point where I can run it. The DVD is missing two files (folders?) needed to complete the Mac installation. I need to know how to get around this.

Specifics about my computer:

MacBook Pro
OS version 10.9.4
Processor: 2.4 Ghz Intel core 17
Memory: 16 Gb 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512Mb

I am trying to install Myst from the 10th Anniversary of Myst/Rave/Exile pack. I am following the Mac installation instructions.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton3 View Post
The DVD is missing two files (folders?) needed to complete the Mac installation.
- Are you saying this is a hybrid install DVD (Mac & Windows installs)?
- Is this a commercial install DVD?
- If so…how is it possible that some folders are missing?
- If the install DVD is missing something…why not contact the developers of Myst…or return it for another copy?

Finally…is this copy of Myst compatible with your Mac (Mac spec's and OS version)? Since you are running the latest Mac OS version (10.9.4)…this version of Myst may not be compatible with it.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm assuming this is what the OP is trying to install:
Amazon.com: Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition - PC/Mac: Video Games

Note that it was released in 2003, LONG before Apple switched to Intel processors. This will require either a PPC Mac or Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) on an Intel Mac (actually, even Snow Leopard might not run it). Since the OP has neither, installing this is impossible.

EDIT: Here's a modernized version of Myst, fully compatible with OS X today:
realMyst: Masterpiece Edition - Cyan, Inc. - Makers of Myst, Riven, and More

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 07-13-2014 at 11:48 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's why I didn't find it on their site. It's now realMyst Masterpiece Edition, I looked for the original Masterpiece Edition which is Windows only.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« apps taking too much hard drive space - macbook | Exchange Server & Outlook for Mac 2011 - emails are invisible »