New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Problems With Pages

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

monoloco

monoloco is on a distinguished road

I keep losing documents in Pages, I start a document and after opening and closing it several times to work on it suddenly I get a message that the document couldn't be opened because:
The required index.xml file is missing. What's going on here, am I retarded or is Pages a flawed program?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Personally not very happy with Pages of late and gone to MS Office esclusively.

However have a read of this thread which may help:-

iWorkTipsnTricks :: View topic - "Missing index.xml file"

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
HumptyDo

HumptyDo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoloco View Post
I keep losing documents in Pages, I start a document and after opening and closing it several times to work on it suddenly I get a message that the document couldn't be opened because:
The required index.xml file is missing. What's going on here, am I retarded or is Pages a flawed program?
Sounds to me like you have upgraded to Mavericks and auto-upgraded your iWork software to the latest and cruddiest Apple versions.

In which case you have both Pages 5.2 and Pages '09 on your Mac and are alternately opening one or the other.

Pages '09 can not open the Pages 5.2 files. In fact even Pages 5.1 can't.

Apple cleverly made the .pages extension the same on all versions, even though the format is completely different in the latest version.

Pages 5 is best avoided. Apple removed over 110 features and added a stack of bugs.

You can export your Pages 5 documents back to Pages '09 format and keep using that until Apple gets its act together (which it does not look like it is going to bother).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Copy and Paste files from finder into MS Outlook in Mac Pro | Do i have to buy Flip4Mac or is there something else for free »