Thread: Itunes

Specs:
    Macbookpro 15,10.9.2,I7,700G HD,16G RAM
    Itunes
    I have a question regarding deleting applications on my various iDevices.

There are three ways to look at an application: one is on the iDevice itself, another is in iTunes looking at the particular iDevice, and the third is looking at a listing of all apps you have in iTunes.

Which view do you use to look at an app and delete it from your system completely. I am worried that I may be misunderstanding how to delete apps.

1. I can go into iTunes and bring up the apps on a particular device and indicate remove and it does remove the app from the device but keeps it in the master director of all apps. This is good and very handy, particularly when you want to keep it on one or more of your devices..

2. I can go on a particular device, give a long press on an app and then press on the "X" that appears in the left corner of the icon and it is deleted from the device. What worries me is what are the ramifications of deleting via this method. It seems like the next time I go to sync the device I get the app back. Is it necessary for me to go into the apps list for the device and do something to keep it from reloading the app back on my device?

3. If I go to the master list of all apps and delete an app from my system does this automatically delete the app from my device at the next sync.

I have four different devices that I am trying to keep up to date and seem to get confused quite often so any enlightment that any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kerry Kissinger
    Bhubha
    MBP8,2,15 Inch,I7,2.3G,10.9.2,700GHD,16GRAM

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    1. I can go into iTunes and bring up the apps on a particular device and indicate remove and it does remove the app from the device but keeps it in the master director of all apps. This is good and very handy, particularly when you want to keep it on one or more of your devices..
    This is the preferred method and the one I use with my devices. For example: I have the iWork apps and iPhoto installed on my iPad but do not want the iWork apps to be on my iPhone. I can have iTunes remove the iWorks apps only from my iPhone but leave iPhoto in place.

3. If I go to the master list of all apps and delete an app from my system does this automatically delete the app from my device at the next sync.
    Right, which is why you don't want to remove an app that way. Although apps purchased from the iTunes store can be re-downloaded at any time without cost. It's more convenient in my opinion to keep them in your master list in iTunes. That's what I do.

Specs:
    2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    For method #2, no downsides. To keep it from reinstalling, in iTunes just make sure it shows in iTunes under Apps on the device screen with a button to "Install" and not "Remove." The former means it is NOT installed on that device.

I use #3 if I know I never want the app again, or at least not anytime soon. That cuts down on the updating download process when I open iTunes and refresh my apps. If I want that app again, I'll just download from the App Store and get the latest version. As an example I toured Ireland a couple of years ago and used some apps to find attractions to visit. I removed that app when I got home and deleted it from iTunes and my machine. If I ever do go back to Ireland, I'll just re-download the current version, but I don't need all the updates to it in the meantime.

Thread Information