New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to turn off "Word Document Gallery" when starting "Word for Mac 2011" ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JohnDohe

JohnDohe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, ntel HD Graphics 4000, OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

I don't like that everytime I open "Word for Mac 2011"
the first thing that loads is "Word Document Gallery".

Can I turn off "Word Document Gallery" and just have
"Word for Mac 2011" open to a specific document
of my choosing?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you launch Word and go to Preferences you can control it there. At the bottom of the General tab is a setting for whether Word opens the Document Gallery. If you don't want the document gallery to show uncheck that option.

Changing this setting generally causes Word to open a blank document. I am not sure there is a way to stop that. If you want documents to open with a particular type of formatting that can be worked around. Create a document with the formatting you want and save it wherever you like. Then create an alias to the document and use the alias to launch Word.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
JohnDohe

Mac Specs: Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, ntel HD Graphics 4000, OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

Thanks! Gallery turned off successfully!

How do I set up an "alias" and use it to go directly into a specific document when first opening Word for Mac 2011?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnDohe

Where is the setting to tell "Word for Mac 2011" to open a specific document whenever I start it?

I want to be able to click on the icon in my dock and see the document pop up.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Where is the document ~ in the Documents folder?

If so drag it to the Dock and it will appear as a word file with the letter 'a' on it. Clcick on it and Word will open the document.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

See answer to your other thread. Updated to version 14.3.4?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnDohe

Great!

Is there a way I can create a folder, in the dock, that will hold my favorite documents, and when I hover over it, will show me the documents in it and I can then select the one I want?
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

I don't use "Word for Mac 2011" but maybe these suggestions would work:

Office 2011 for Mac: Change Word’s Default Document - For Dummies

Change the default settings for new documents - mac word

Or try the old fashioned MS Word method:
- open the doc you want to use and save a copy of it it somewhere handy.
- make an alias of it if you want and drag it to the right-hand side of your Dock or onto your Desktop
- use it to open Word with a double click
and you should be looking at the doc you want to use.

You should also be able to turn it into a "stationary" file using Get Info on the doc file you want which should open an unnamed Word duplicate of the file you want to use.

Much easier than modifying any template files that Word defaults to using.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You already have a "documents" folder on your dock. However, if you want another just for Word documents, create it in Finder and then drag it to the right side of your dock. You can name that folder whatever you wish.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

@OP:

Please do not cross post or double post the same questions. Your posts have been combined together here.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You already have a "documents" folder on your dock. ... ...

Maybe, and only if the user has left it there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« XLSX files with Numbers | POP UP Blocker »