New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

XLSX files with Numbers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mikeo1938

Mikeo1938 is on a distinguished road

My accountant has sent me a spreadsheet suffixed .xlsx that I cannot open via Apple Works 6. Will I be able to open it if I get Numbers?

Also, will I be able to send him .xlsx spreadsheets that I create in Numbers? My spreadsheets would be simple ones: just lists of expenses and sums of money in sterling.

I have an MPB with 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance for comments.

M
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The answer to both of your questions is yes. Unless the particular Excel sheet has some very unusual formulas and attachments, the latest version of Numbers should have no problem opening, editing, and saving it.

But rather than spending money on buying Numbers, why not download one of the free Office suites instead? OpenOffice and LibreOffice are free and contain spreadsheet programs which can do what you're asking.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Thanks very much chscag for your detailed and helpful reply.
I’ll now investigate the options. I presume that Numbers, OpenOffice and LibreOffice would all come down over the broadband and that I wouldn’t need to wait for a CD to be mailed.
Renewed thanks …
M
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

There's a snag.
Just looked at Numbers and Open Office but they are both asking for more recent OS than my 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). Numbers needs 10.9 and Open Office needs 10.7.
I really dont want to upgrade this 2009 MPB.
M
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No snag. You didn't look far enough or inquire as to the system requirements.

Go here to download and also see requirements. According to what I read, it can be installed to Tiger or higher.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Thanks again … now all in hand.
M
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AppleScript: Auto-accept Calendar Invites | How to turn off "Word Document Gallery" when starting "Word for Mac 2011" ? »