New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Forwarding e-mails automatically but from a different e-mail address

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.10.1; iPad Mini iOS 8.1.2;iPhone 4s iOS 8.1.2

I recently changed provider. I continue to receive e-mails to the old address from which I am unable to send e-mails. As e-mails will soon cease to be delivered I would ideally like to set up an automatic reply to all incoming e-mails to that address.

Is there a way to do that without using the old e-mail address?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Depends what email application you are using, as this is different for Outlook, Thunderbird etc. Assuming you are using Mail see if this helps:-

MacScripter / Auto reply & redirect e-mail rules: both at same time?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.10.1; iPad Mini iOS 8.1.2;iPhone 4s iOS 8.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Depends what email application you are using, as this is different for Outlook, Thunderbird etc. Assuming you are using Mail see if this helps:-

MacScripter / Auto reply & redirect e-mail rules: both at same time?
Thanks. I am using Mail. The problem I have is that I can no longer send from my old e-mail address, only receive. I have looked through all the 'Rules' options but there isn't one that will alter the e-mail address from which the reply is to be sent.

I am sure that the Apple software guys could enable a rule to be added so that the reply to an e-mail could go from a different e-mail address instead of automatically going from the one to which the e-mail was addressed.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have got around to that yet.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Would it work to use the "Reply to Message" action, then put directions to use the new address in the text to be sent, then in the Account information for the about-to-quit address put your NEW outbound server as the SMTP? That way, the rule will trigger when you get something in the old, but the directions to shift to your new addy will go out the new.
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Thanks MacInWin for the suggestion to change SMTP server which enables me to send from the old address.

It works because I sent from my wife's iMac to the old address and a reply has come back! However the reply message doesn't appear in my Sent mailbox.

My only worry is that, if somebody is away from their office and is sending out automatic messages presumably my outgoing message will automatically go out every time leading to a never ending loop!

Last edited by Alwyn; 07-10-2014 at 01:24 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of

Most out-of-office systems are now smart enough to reply with the "out" message only once to each recipient, so I would not worry about it. If you note one that doesn't (Lots of repeating emails in a short time frame), then kill the rule or write a new one that takes priority over the old to delete the dupe before the "respond" rule activates. It's complex and frankly I wouldn't worry about it.
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
Most out-of-office systems are now smart enough to reply with the "out" message only once to each recipient, so I would not worry about it. If you note one that doesn't (Lots of repeating emails in a short time frame), then kill the rule or write a new one that takes priority over the old to delete the dupe before the "respond" rule activates. It's complex and frankly I wouldn't worry about it.
Just got home to find that an e-mail sent to the old address on 28 June has been automatically replied to. I intended that only new e-mails should be responded to. It wouldn't matter except that I use iCloud for personal e-mail and my ISP plusnet for commercial stuff.

I've set up the rule for Account and applied it to the old e-mail address. Should I instead have set it up for Any recipient instead and applied that to the old e-mail address. I'm slightly at sea here.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
Just got home to find that an e-mail sent to the old address on 28 June has been automatically replied to. I intended that only new e-mails should be responded to. It wouldn't matter except that I use iCloud for personal e-mail and my ISP plusnet for commercial stuff.

I've set up the rule for Account and applied it to the old e-mail address. Should I instead have set it up for Any recipient instead and applied that to the old e-mail address. I'm slightly at sea here.
The only thing I can think of to cause that is that your mail provider re-sent that 28 June email again. It sounds like you have it right. Was it just that ONE email, and were there others that did NOT repeat? You might get a friend to test, outside you and your wife's accounts. PM me your email addy, I'll send something to you and I can be the "test dummy" for you. Don't put your email here, or it will be a spam target, just put in in a PM to me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Playlist Sharing | good Printer App or Software »