New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Command I - assigned apps lost on restart

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson is on a distinguished road

After setting up my files to be opened by specific apps using the info palette - Photoshop to open .tifs, png, jpg, etc. - upon restart ALL that is lost and Preview becomes the default. I have to RESET all my files.suffix every time I restart the machine. What gives?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Not sure what Mac device you are on, or what OS you are running, ?? Good info to add every time you have a answer | . . . . But you could try and repair your Disk Permissions, by either booting into the Install DVD or into the Recovery Partition, and when there go to the MenuBar and select Utilities then Disk Utility Once it opens, select the Macintosh HD or your HD in the left column, then First Aid tab at the top and finally the Repair Disk Permissions down the Bottom.

Let it do what it has to do, and it might take a while if you haven't given your Mac a clean in a while, but when finished (don't worry about the errors as this is normal) restart booting into the OS and see what happens.

Sometimes, you could get a corrupt file, and if this happens, it could be stopping it 'saving' the App status, and hence every time time you start, you are back to the default.

If this doesn't work come back and then we will try something different.
If your in Lion 10.7 and above boot into recovery partition by holding down ⌘ and R together while powering on, or the ⌥ (Option) key and then select the Recovery Partition. Either way will work.

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

When you 'set it up' are you clicking the 'Use to open all documents like this one' button?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson is on a distinguished road

crandom,.

Yes. Setting the apps is straight forward. My 10.7.5 OS is the only machine that loses this info on restart.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Office 2011 flag a new email for a follow-up | PPT 2011 - Relative links to a file in folder that is up two directories? »