New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Item No.Issues in Apple's Numbers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crimsondragon67

crimsondragon67 is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

maybe this is an elementary question but as a new user of Apple's Numbers I cant seem to find any answer to my question.

I have to organise a huge movie dvd library and have a spread sheet done ok in Numbers with 5 columns. the first column is No. as I want each line to start with an item number.. the 2nd column is Movie Description which needs to be sorted alphabetically etc..

However when I input all the data and go to sort the 2nd column (Movie Name) in ascending order the item no. is also changing so the first No. column is all out off sync etc. Is there a way of sorting out all the other colums but keeping the item No.column static so that it reads 1 -100 say and all the Movie descriptions in alphabetical order like the following:

Movie Name Released Video /Audio Description File Size
1. Avatar 2012 Bluray HD DTS 7.1 1080p 25.6Gb
2. JFK 1991 True HD DTS 5.1 1080p 19.96Gb

or do you leave out the numbering column and rely on page numbering in the printing menu at the end?

I am totally new to Numbers and know this is probably elementary but i can;t stop the number column from changing too when i sort the movie name column alphabetically.
Hopefully someone can please help
many thanks
Fergus
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsondragon67 View Post
Hi Guys,

maybe this is an elementary question but as a new user of Apple's Numbers I cant seem to find any answer to my question.

I have to organise a huge movie dvd library and have a spread sheet done ok in Numbers with 5 columns. the first column is No. as I want each line to start with an item number.. the 2nd column is Movie Description which needs to be sorted alphabetically etc..

However when I input all the data and go to sort the 2nd column (Movie Name) in ascending order the item no. is also changing so the first No. column is all out off sync etc. Is there a way of sorting out all the other colums but keeping the item No.column static so that it reads 1 -100 say ..................
Hi Fergus - I have about a half dozen simple databases in Numbers, all my personal needs (e.g. movies, wine recommendations, films to see & those seen, etc.) Attached is a 'screen capture' of the start of my 'DVD/BD' movie list - the films in bold are Blu-ray discs.

Numbers will keep a numeric listing of the rows to the far left (part of the sheet) fixed as you sort on the other columns; of course if you have Headers & spacer rows, then your first film will not be 'No. 1' - not sure how important that might be for you; otherwise you'll have to find a way in Numbers to 'Freeze' a column from a sort - Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 1.15.25 PM.png (236.2 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

@OP I have not used Numbers much at all but have used Excel For some time. If I understand your problem correctly this is probably going to happen with any spreadsheet. When you sort the information by a certain column, in this case title, everything associated with that title moves with it so the information is kept together on the same row.

If you have something like RadDave has set up then you get the layout he has shown. In Excel a Macro could be used to count the number of rows and subtract the header row(s) thus giving a count of the total number of DVDs.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Just thinking out loud...
How about if you select everything EXCEPT the numbers column and then sort?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail application problems | Safari open multi tabs on startup »