New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail application problems


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Iskra

 
Member Since: Jun 21, 2014
Posts: 8
Iskra is on a distinguished road

Iskra is offline
I've tried what I know could be wrong. My smtp is smpt.google.com.

My outgoing adress is plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

"Activare this account" is ticked it.

Account type: POP

No TLS Certificate

Port: 995

Please help me!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,414
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

What is it that you're trying to do? It appears you have two outgoing mail addresses (gmail and yahoo). Which mail service provider are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
Iskra

 
Member Since: Jun 21, 2014
Posts: 8
Iskra is on a distinguished road

Iskra is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

What is it that you're trying to do? It appears you have two outgoing mail addresses (gmail and yahoo). Which mail service provider are you using?
THank you!

I'm trying to use gmail.

Edit: I'm still getting problems when I use smpt.google.com. I get a box that says "User adress xxx@gmail.com is not approved by smtp.google.com"
"Use another outgoing e-mail server"

Last edited by Iskra; 06-21-2014 at 03:24 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

 
RadDave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 20, 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,210
RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

RadDave is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
I'm trying to use gmail.

Edit: I'm still getting problems when I use smpt.google.com. I get a box that says "User adress xxx@gmail.com is not approved by smtp.google.com"
"Use another outgoing e-mail server"
Hello, you really need to get three pieces of information correct (especially regarding spelling which from your responses, letters have been reversed) - BUT, make sure: 1) your email address for Gmail is correct; 2) that your incoming POP (or IMAP) address is correct; and 3) that your outgoing SMTP is correct (in your OP you typed 'My smtp is smpt.google.com - see the spelling in bold). Please post back after checking and if all is spelled correctly, then further suggestions can be given. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,414
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
THank you!

I'm trying to use gmail.

Edit: I'm still getting problems when I use smpt.google.com. I get a box that says "User adress xxx@gmail.com is not approved by smtp.google.com"
"Use another outgoing e-mail server"
Your addressing is wrong. Incoming gmail should read: pop.gmail.com
sending or outgoing should read: smtp.gmail.com

Also, it's a good idea to access your account on the gmail server and change your password. However, don't forget to also change it in the Mail program.
QUOTE Thanks
Iskra

 
Member Since: Jun 21, 2014
Posts: 8
Iskra is on a distinguished road

Iskra is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hello, you really need to get three pieces of information correct (especially regarding spelling which from your responses, letters have been reversed) - BUT, make sure: 1) your email address for Gmail is correct; 2) that your incoming POP (or IMAP) address is correct; and 3) that your outgoing SMTP is correct (in your OP you typed 'My smtp is smpt.google.com - see the spelling in bold). Please post back after checking and if all is spelled correctly, then further suggestions can be given. Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Your addressing is wrong. Incoming gmail should read: pop.gmail.com
sending or outgoing should read: smtp.gmail.com

Also, it's a good idea to access your account on the gmail server and change your password. However, don't forget to also change it in the Mail program.


RIght, so my adresses arewring. I have no idea where tochangethe.POP....
Still no lcy

The resst I can problably do myself

This is ny set-up now.


And this is what happejs den i yry trysend an emio

Translation "Gmail disconnected"

Last edited by Iskra; 06-22-2014 at 02:33 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,414
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
You make the proper entries in your Mail program by opening Preferences, Accounts, Account Information. Don't forget to save the changes.
QUOTE Thanks
Iskra

 
Member Since: Jun 21, 2014
Posts: 8
Iskra is on a distinguished road

Iskra is offline
Seriouslt, I give up on this peice of crap.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

 
MBP17•David's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 04, 2014
Location: East Midlands, UK
Posts: 442
MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

MBP17•David is offline
Lets take it one step at a time, and maybe we can solve this problem ...

You need to correct erroneous entry for your incoming mail server, as pointed by chscag above:



1. Select smtp part of the address and type pop

You have no outgoing mail server selected, so you need to rectify that:

2. Click on the arrows, as shown in above picture, you'll be presented with this (you won't have as many servers, if any, so don't worry):



1. Make note which, if any, server is ticked, and
2. Click on Edit SMTP Server List

You will see this (again, ignore the fact that I have quite a few entries there, you might not have any):



If your correct server smtp.gmail.com is selected (point 1), then

2. Set the port and authentication, as advised by Google (I'm afraid I don't use it, so wouldn't know)

If you don't have your smtp server listed, then do this:



1. Click on + to add a server
2. Either enter it where it says 'Double-click to enter', or
3. Enter the name as shown in server name field

Now you can go back to previous image and set the port and SSL, if any.

Once you're back to account setting screen (your own screenshot at the top), don't forget to:

3. Tick the box to only use this smtp server with your gmail account.

I've omitted some obvious steps, like clicking OK to confirm changes made, etc ...

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
Iskra

 
Member Since: Jun 21, 2014
Posts: 8
Iskra is on a distinguished road

Iskra is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
Lets take it one step at a time, and maybe we can solve this problem ...

You need to correct erroneous entry for your incoming mail server, as pointed by chscag above:

1. Select smtp part of the address and type pop

You have no outgoing mail server selected, so you need to rectify that:

2. Click on the arrows, as shown in above picture, you'll be presented with this (you won't have as many servers, if any, so don't worry):

1. Make note which, if any, server is ticked, and
2. Click on Edit SMTP Server List

You will see this (again, ignore the fact that I have quite a few entries there, you might not have any):

If your correct server smtp.gmail.com is selected (point 1), then

2. Set the port and authentication, as advised by Google (I'm afraid I don't use it, so wouldn't know)

If you don't have your smtp server listed, then do this:

1. Click on + to add a server
2. Either enter it where it says 'Double-click to enter', or
3. Enter the name as shown in server name field

Now you can go back to previous image and set the port and SSL, if any.

Once you're back to account setting screen (your own screenshot at the top), don't forget to:

3. Tick the box to only use this smtp server with your gmail account.

I've omitted some obvious steps, like clicking OK to confirm changes made, etc ...
THanks a bunch for your time and effort, but it still doesnt work. Seems I get incoming mail (i THINK) but outgoing is still no-go. One problem I have is that I cant get Google POP, instead I get Google IMAP, and I don't know how to chnge it.

Edit: Yes, I can receive incoming mail, but sending mail still doesn't wotk. It has to do something with Google IMAP, instead of POP, but I can't change IMAP to POP...

Last edited by Iskra; 06-22-2014 at 06:26 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

 
MBP17•David's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 04, 2014
Location: East Midlands, UK
Posts: 442
MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

MBP17•David is offline
Is there any reason why you don't want to use Mail pre-set routine for setting up Google mail account?
I just went through this and it takes 30 seconds and requires you to type in your email and password - can't be any simpler than that, really:










May I suggest you use this option, as manual setup is quite clearly not working for you. For what it worth, the gmail smtp server settings (from the automated setup) are exactly as I listed in the previous post...

Question to members, who use Google - is there even an option to have POP3, rather than IMAP?
I just setup a test account and do not see any mention of pop ... Not that I was looking hard

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
Iskra

 
Member Since: Jun 21, 2014
Posts: 8
Iskra is on a distinguished road

Iskra is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
Is there any reason why you don't want to use Mail pre-set routine for setting up Google mail account?
I just went through this and it takes 30 seconds and requires you to type in your email and password - can't be any simpler than that, really:










May I suggest you use this option, as manual setup is quite clearly not working for you. For what it worth, the gmail smtp server settings (from the automated setup) are exactly as I listed in the previous post...

Question to members, who use Google - is there even an option to have POP3, rather than IMAP?
I just setup a test account and do not see any mention of pop ... Not that I was looking hard
ROfl, I acutally had no idea you could do that. But that first screenshot, I don't get it when I click the + (plus) button.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

 
MBP17•David's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 04, 2014
Location: East Midlands, UK
Posts: 442
MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

MBP17•David is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
Yes, I can receive incoming mail, but sending mail still doesn't wotk. It has to do something with Google IMAP, instead of POP, but I can't change IMAP to POP...
Sending mail has nothing to do with delivery protocol - i.e. POP3 or IMAP.
It has, however everything to do with SMTP.

I suggest you use the automated gmail setup, and see if you can post through that: if yes, than you'd need to copy smtp settings exactly as they are in the working account (or just use what works); and if not, than there's a problem with, most likely, relaying denial by your ISP/network/system manager, etc. This can be overcome by changing security protocols and opening alternative ports to get out, but it is, perhaps, a bit too involved ...

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
Iskra

 
Member Since: Jun 21, 2014
Posts: 8
Iskra is on a distinguished road

Iskra is offline
I just can't find the menu on the first picture you're showing (I'm fairly new to mac, escpecially its build-it apps)
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

 
MBP17•David's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 04, 2014
Location: East Midlands, UK
Posts: 442
MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

MBP17•David is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
ROfl, I acutally had no idea you could do that. But that first screenshot, I don't get it when I click the + (plus) button.
Ah, what OS X version are you running?

If you can definitely receive mail through pop.gmail.com, than all you need, is to configure your smtp:

Go to you account and click on double-arrow for smtp server, as explained above, here's what you need to put in:





You might want to use your own user name

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Outlook | Item No.Issues in Apple's Numbers »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Threaded mail in iOS Mail app reese2147 iOS and Apps 0 06-16-2014 03:49 PM
Importing Messages into Mail twfmike OS X - Operating System 0 05-12-2014 08:30 AM
Pesky Questions About Mail Archive PGB1 OS X - Apps and Games 2 05-10-2014 07:02 PM
Mail marked as SPAM skays OS X - Apps and Games 0 04-29-2014 09:33 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?