New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Quicktime help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

abess35

abess35 is on a distinguished road

How do I set set Quicktime as my default dvd player. Just updated to Mavericks, and tried to play a dvd. The dvd is mounted on the desktop, but I can't play it. Thank you for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

What kind of a DVD? Music DVDs should default to iTunes while movies should be played by the "DVD Player.app". You can download the free VLC and use it instead.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

What kind of DVD is it??

And Quicktime is often restricted as to what it can play, and maybe DVD Player may be a better choice. It can also depend on what version(s) of Quicktime you have installed.

DVD Player is the default setting in the CD & DVD Preferences Pane for playing video DVDs.

But maybe it isn't a video DVD...????

EDIT: Sorry chscag, but your post wasn't showing when I was replying.
QUOTE Thanks
abess35

Prior to updating to Mavericks, any dvd, (This particular one was a concert dvd), opened up automatically to the title/menu screen. I have old dv clips that would also open. Now the old clips are being converted, to what format, I don't know, and the resulting footage is very pixelated. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
abess35

And initially, Quicktime would open from the Applications folder, and it wasn't, nor still, located in Launchpad.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

Hopefully some QT and DVD gurus will come to the rescue here as I just tried some commercial DVDs with Mavericks that used to work properly with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Mavericks is a mess.

Even some .mpg video clips in my iTunes won't work properly, and when they do, theory are somewhat blurry.

Do you have both QuickTime Player.app v. 10.3 in your Applications folder and possibly QuickTime Player 7.app v. 7.6.6 in your Utilities folder. I find QuickTime Player 7.app works better.

But things are crazy now, and clicking on a video clip in iTunes comes up with "This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes." and clicking OK, the video starts to play in iTunes. WTF is that all about???

On a commercial HD DVD, iDVD opens and I get the control bar, but hardly anything works: clicking 'Menu' flashes a Not Permitted sign, the Pause doesn't work along with many other controls. Again WTF Apple??

Everything seems to work as expected using Snow Leopard and FWIW, I never use Launchpad.

I'll need to do some more checking with my own Mavericks setup, but again I'm not impressed.

What do you see in the DVD just using the Finder?
QUOTE Thanks
abess35

The dvd is not recognized by Quicktime, so I cannot play it using the File menu. I tried Quicktime 7, thinking that may work, but the same issues occur. Using Finder just gives me the audio and video files. You're right, this is a mess, but I could not find anything online indicating it's a widespread issue, so just figured it was me or my computer. Thank you for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

We really still don't know exactly what kind of DVD you're having trouble with and Quicktime may not be the solution for you.

But regardless a Google search on 'mac Mavericks DVD won't play' sure brings up a lot of hits for those with a similar problem you may want to check out.

For some reason, many "solutions" said an SMC reset was needed which seems a bit odd to me but you can try and see if it fixes the problem.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As suggested in post #2, why are you not using DVD Player as the default? This is the program that is supposed to be used to play DVDs, always has been.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2011 Office for Mac | Idraw change image dimensions »