New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail-Unable to edit

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tfdchief

tfdchief is on a distinguished road

For a reason unknown to me I am no longer able to add a new signature or Smart Mailbox to my Apple Mail account and have it stay. If Mail or my iMac are restarted they disappear. It also asks me to verify my email provider the first time after a restart. I am running a 2009 27" iMac, 10.8.5, Intel Core 2 Duo. Thanks for any help. John
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Try Repairing Disk Permissions

Open Disk Utility and in the Left column select your HD (2nd from top of list) Click first Aid Tab then Repair Disk Permissions. Wait until its finished, and (don't take any notice of the Errors) Restart your Mac.
See if that fixes it. If not, we will have to dive into the .plists

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
tfdchief

I had ran permissions several times but never restarted right away until now. Just did as you said but, alas, the signatures and Smart Mailbox I added after the restart are gone after quitting Mail and starting again.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I don't use Mac Mail anymore, but I did find a few things. Some people have found that there Smart Mail Boxes are in the Sidebar but are hidden (sort of). If you see On My Mac and hover your cursor over that to the right of it, the word 'Show' will appear, and if you click on that, then your Smart Mail Boxes could be under that ??
If not, try the solution in this Apple Discussion Thread in the 2nd Post by hoosierchick2012

As to the Signature, you might have to go into and grab the AllSignature.plist
Make sure Mail has been QUIT . . . . In Finder "Go To Folder" under Finder>Go>Go To Folder Click on it and a window will drop down. Paste in :
Code:
~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Signatures
and look for the AllSignatures.plist and drag it to your Desktop. Open Mail, and then in the Preferences>Signatures see if you can now add your Signatures and if so add one, and quit Mail, open it again and see if its still there. If it is, assign it to a email address and then you should be all good.

HTH

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
tfdchief

Hovering over On My Mac revealed 'Hide' so it must now be in the 'Show' mode. The AllSignatures.plist is on my desktop and I put 7 signatures in and the restarted Mail. Same thing, they are all gone. I notice the Choose Signature menu at the bottom of the Signatures page is grayed out and not selectable if that means anything.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« One good app to have. | looking for iphone sim card reader software »