New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris18

Chris18 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'm on an iMac, running 10.6.8. I use Outlook as my default email program, but Mail keeps auto-opening every day. I have set the preferences in Mail to only check email manually, yet it auto-opens daily. This has gotten rather annoying after several months, mainly because it seems like it should be a simple fix. Any help on how to stop this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

When does the auto opening occur? Is it happening any time you log into your account or only when you perform a restart?

One thing to check. Go to System Preferences and look at the User accounts. Click on the settings for your account and look at the list of login items. Is Mail, or anything Mail related, listed there?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

After Mail opens - try a right click on it's icon in the Dock and see what options you have there.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
When does the auto opening occur? Is it happening any time you log into your account or only when you perform a restart?

One thing to check. Go to System Preferences and look at the User accounts. Click on the settings for your account and look at the list of login items. Is Mail, or anything Mail related, listed there?
Machine is left on throughout the day. I'm not sure of a specific time that it checks, but I'll pay closer attention. I have it set to sleep when inactive, not log out.
I checked system prefs- Mail is not in the login items. The only things checked there are iTunes helper & Google Chrome (neither of which open when I log in).
QUOTE Thanks
Chris18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
After Mail opens - try a right click on it's icon in the Dock and see what options you have there.
Options- Keep in Dock, Open at Login, Show in Finder.

Below that, only Hide and Quit. I always quit.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Is Mail the default client? Mail/Preferences/General - Default email reader.
Change it to Outlook.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Chris18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Is Mail the default client? Mail/Preferences/General - Default email reader.
Change it to Outlook.
No sir, Outlook was already the default email reader. That's why this is baffling me!
Thanks though.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

When it opens does it actually try to check for mail? In other words, are any accounts set up in it?
If so, and you don't want to use it, remove the accounts.

It's possible something else running might have Mail as the default (unlikely but I'm grasping at straws).

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Chris18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
When it opens does it actually try to check for mail? In other words, are any accounts set up in it?
If so, and you don't want to use it, remove the accounts.

It's possible something else running might have Mail as the default (unlikely but I'm grasping at straws).
It tries, but I had deleted all the passwords.

Just found a choice of "Take all accounts offline" under Mailbox. Hoping this will do the trick. Will post results after a day or two, to see if it auto-opens.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris18 View Post
Options- Keep in Dock, Open at Login, Show in Finder.

Below that, only Hide and Quit. I always quit.
Is the Open at Login option checked? If so, uncheck it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

Quote:
It tries, but I had deleted all the passwords.
That won't stop it from prompting for one, if there's a mailto: call...

As Craig said, if you're not using Mail, it really is best to have no accounts there, or at least have them all deactivated: Mail | Preferences | Accounts | Account Information - at the top untick "Enable this account" for each of them.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
Chris18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Is the Open at Login option checked? If so, uncheck it.
It was not checked. But thanks for the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
That won't stop it from prompting for one, if there's a mailto: call...

As Craig said, if you're not using Mail, it really is best to have no accounts there, or at least have them all deactivated: Mail | Preferences | Accounts | Account Information - at the top untick "Enable this account" for each of them.
When I tried to do that it said it was going to delete all messages. I am not 100% sure I can delete all the messages now. I'm going to wait to see if taking all accounts offline will keep it from happening. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

Quote:
When I tried to do that it said it was going to delete all messages.
Is (are) the account(s) IMAP or POP3?

I have done this a number of times, and do not remember seeing such a warning. Certainly is not displayed, when de-activating a POP3 account - just tested it, to make sure.

Do you keep all the messages in your Inbox? If so, create a few folders under ON MY MAC and move everything from Inbox (and Sent and Drafts) into these folders, then there will be nothing for Mail to delete (it won't touch user folders).

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
Chris18

Backed all the email up into On My Mac folders and deleted all the accounts. Now to wait a day and see if this solves it, or if I delete this program altogether.
Thanks for the help everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

You cant delete it. Mail is part of OS X. If nothing else, next upgrade it'll be right back.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating a Watermark | Cache Map Data for future use... »