New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

please help. malware OSX/GEORGEI-A

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

judych

judych is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz

o.k... so i tried to download a free version of the latest email program for Lion OX... and ended up with malware within seconds of starting the download. anyone else have this issue? does anyone have a free download url for the latest email program for Mac...
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

You can update your OS X here: OS X Mavericks and get the latest version of Mail

For the future, to avoid malware and similar nasties, it is best to look for apps in Apple App Store - secure and tested environment, and plenty of choice.

As far as email program, I would take a second look at Mail - when I moved from Linux, I didn't like it either, and continued to use Thunderbird ... I absolutely love Mail nowadays

Dvid

Last edited by MBP17•David; 05-31-2014 at 09:07 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
judych

o.k... so im not happy with the email program that was supplied with the lion OSX ... there are later programs out . Anyone got suggestions as to which email program would give me graphics as the post comes in? im currently using sparrow...
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hey Judy, I hope the weather in Tassie is treating you well
Im confused as in your Title, you mention Malware, but in the post you ask about another email client ?? And Graphics ?? Do you mean Notifications ?
Well if you can, you can do the free upgrade to Mountain Lion OS X 10.9 and get the Notifications Centre where you will get Notifications when a email comes in.

But if you can't do that, you can download Growl Notifications where you can set it to bring up a Notification on your screen when a email comes in. Go here to download Growl for your OS.

When you say your not happy with Mac Mail, what is it you don't like. We find, its usually something that can nearly always be fixed by checking a Preference somewhere . . . . But as to Mail, I use and like Airmail for all my mail now, and easily handles 4 email addresses . . . Its a couple of $, but It looks nice, is compatible now with GPG and as well as Spam Sieve . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
judych

o.k.. i didnt give enough info.. sorry its caused confusion. Ive got Lion OSX. i dont like the email program that is a part of Lion so i have been using sparrow. I have a lot of emails, up to 1500 a week, and i do online shopping. So, an important feature for me is that the email is fully displayed, graphics and all, as it comes in. But sparrow has weaknesses with its thread setup in conversations... so im trying to upgrade on it. I did try to download one of the latest email programs but it was infected with malware... GORGEI-A I got rid of it but now im not so sure about downloading anymore ... i want to knowwhere there are any later programs that are safe? there must be... i would prefer at this point not to have to buy... if i dont like it i can just delete the program if its not paid for by me. I think this is all that i need to publish right now. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by judych View Post
o.k.. i didnt give enough info.. sorry its caused confusion.
Threads have been merged...and thread has been moved to a better area (not really a "Desktops" topic). No need to triple post. Three seperate threads were created for the same topic (just creates a lot of confusion for folks tryong to help).

Please post one thread...and continue the discussion within that thread.

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by judych View Post
o.k.. i didnt give enough info.. sorry its caused confusion. Ive got Lion OSX. i dont like the email program that is a part of Lion so i have been using sparrow. I have a lot of emails, up to 1500 a week, and i do online shopping. So, an important feature for me is that the email is fully displayed, graphics and all, as it comes in. But sparrow has weaknesses with its thread setup in conversations... so im trying to upgrade on it. I did try to download one of the latest email programs but it was infected with malware... GORGEI-A I got rid of it but now im not so sure about downloading anymore ... i want to knowwhere there are any later programs that are safe? there must be... i would prefer at this point not to have to buy... if i dont like it i can just delete the program if its not paid for by me. I think this is all that i need to publish right now. thanks

Ahh Ok I understand now. When you download something, you need to make sure you get it from a reputable site ie: MacUpdate, Cnet and I tend to stay away from Softonic like the plague . . . MacUpdate and CNet always check the downloads for Malware so you know they are safe.
The next best option is to use the Mac App Store that you have with the Lion OS, and if you follow my link above for AirMail, this will take you too the Mac App Store.
When there in the search box tip right, type in email and it will bring up a whole page of Email clients for you to look at. It even has Sparrow there as a safe download and you can't get any safer than downloading from the Mac App Store.
But Airmail shows all graphics in the email, and I have had no problems with it.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Is Softonic a high seas company? Pirated software often comes with nasty little surprises.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Cnet has been known to bundle in crapware as well, so I avoid it and download.com.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A couple of things are not clear to me. Why do you not like OSX Mail? That would clear things up so a different application can maybe be recommended.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Good spreadsheet program | pes 2012 on 10.8.5 »