New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Questions about Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hschaars

hschaars is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 3MB shared L2 cache, 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM;320GB SATA

I've had my Mac since 2009, but just recently upgraded to Mavericks. I did not have my drive backed up so I lost a lot of data because it crashed while upgrading to Mavrericks. I have a new 320GB drive installed now with Mavericks. Some information was retrieved from the old drive, but not everything. I have an external drive 500GB and I am now backing up my drive. Does this back up everything on the drive? Should I always have my external drive connected? What if my external drive runs out of space. I do have some stuff backed up already. I guess if I had backed up everything from my old drive, I wouldn't have to manually input all my stuff. I may have more questions.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Time Machine will backup everything on your internal hard drive.
Be aware that a time machine backup is not bootable, so if ever you need to restore your complete system you will need to install the OS first and then restore from the TM Backup.
Time Machine will also ensure that your backup drive does not run out of space by deleting the oldest backups when needed.
It is always a good idea to have a bootable backup using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

hschaars is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 3MB shared L2 cache, 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM;320GB SATA

OK, but should I leave my external drive connected all the time?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you want Time Machine to back up on schedule then yes the drive needs to be connected for that to happen. Some people choose to leave the external drive unplugged as a means of controlling how often Time Machine runs. There is also third party software to control Time Machine for those who feel hourly backups are too much.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind about Time Machine:

1. Some Macs continue backing up even if the external drive is not connected. These local snapshots take up space on the main drive until the Time machine drive is connected again. About Time Machine local snapshots

2. Time Machine backs up everything unless you tell it otherwise.

3. With recent versions of Time Machine you can backup to a network device.

This article will get you up to speed on the basics. It' s five years old (wow) but the basics of Time Machine haven't changed much.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IPhoto opens to a beach ball that won’t stop spinning | Lost Itunes Playlists »