New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Cheapest way to run Microsoft access on a mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ayupchap

ayupchap is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Annoyingly my work still want to use the number of access databases we have, this is hindering my ability to switch over to a mac.

I am aware I can purchase a program to run an OS but I do not want to pay for windows just to run one program. Can I install another OS using say parallels or VMWare thats free and install MS Access on that easily?

Any help, guides etc so very appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Microsoft Access only runs on Windows, so if you want to use it on your Mac you'll need a solution for running Windows on your Mac.

Those solutions include BootCamp (built into OSX), VMWare Fusion, Parallels, and VirtualBox among others.

Any solution will require your investing in a Windows operating system license.

Your complaint of having to load a Windows solution on your Mac to run a single program is a common one: I am faced with the same challenge, and I use BootCamp to resolve that challenge.

Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
ayupchap

Yes I see.

Is there any way I can run a free OS and then MS Access using Bootcamp or parallels? That would save a cost there at least if I could.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

There's one more option not mentioned:

You can buy CrossOver and run Access with it. A copy of Windows is not required as CrossOver (using WINE) sets up a Windows environment and can install and run most Windows apps. CrossOver has no problem running MS Office 2010 and should be able to run Access. You can download their trial version first to make sure it can run Access.

Be sure to download the Mac trail not Windows. Here is the LINK.
QUOTE Thanks
ayupchap

Oh that could be an excellent solution, thank you
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You can buy CrossOver and run Access with it. A copy of Windows is not required as CrossOver (using WINE) sets up a Windows environment and can install and run most Windows apps.
I may have to look into this...and give it a try. $59 bucks isn't too bad compared to the cost of Parallels/VMware Fusion + a copy of Windows.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Wait a bit Nick.... Reason is that their annual "sale" is coming up. Last two years in the Summer, they gave away CrossOver for free. And after the year of free is up, upgrades are like $15. It's a great way to run Windows software without Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wait a bit Nick.... Reason is that their annual "sale" is coming up. Last two years in the Summer, they gave away CrossOver for free. And after the year of free is up, upgrades are like $15. It's a great way to run Windows software without Windows.
Thanks Charlie! I meant to add to my earlier post...$59 without any discounts. But FREE...is even better...with low cost upgrades!!!

- Do you know of any serious limitations with Crossover vs. Parallels/VMware Vusion?
- What basically is missing from Crossover vs. a "real" install of Windows?

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
- Do you know of any serious limitations with CrossOver vs. Parallels/VMware Vusion?
- What basically is missing from CrossOver vs. a "real" install of Windows?
Parallels and Fusion are going to do better with the more complex Windows apps and games that need graphics. You can go to the CodeWeavers site and get an idea of what Windows apps and games it can positively run. For those Windows apps that are not listed, it provides a generic automated install. Most of the time the Windows app will run with the generic install.

Like I mentioned above, it easily runs MS Windows Office 2010 which is a fairly large suite. I'm using it to run one of my favorite Windows games "Solstice 2014".

What CrossOver does is create a "bottle" which is like a small copy of Windows all by itself separated from OS X. The bottle is placed within CrossOver. When the Windows app is run, it's run from that bottle. When the app runs, it looks like a Mac app.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Parallels and Fusion are going to do better with the more complex Windows apps and games that need graphics.
Ok...I see...thanks. I would probably mostly want it for games...but nothing new...probably older games.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I may have to look into this...and give it a try. $59 bucks isn't too bad compared to the cost of Parallels/VMware Fusion + a copy of Windows.

- Nick
I got CrossOver in a NYOP (Name Your Own Price) bundle from the Mac-Forums newsletter, and paid $9 for it and can be found here.
Has Rapid Weaver, CrossOver 13, TuneUp, SnapHeal Pro, Disk Drill, Voila, mSecure and more. I got it for Crossover 13 and Rapid Weaver all latest Apps.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I got CrossOver in a NYOP (Name Your Own Price) bundle from the Mac-Forums newsletter, and paid $9 for it and can be found here.
Has Rapid Weaver, CrossOver 13, TuneUp, SnapHeal Pro, Disk Drill, Voila, mSecure and more. I got it for Crossover 13 and Rapid Weaver all latest Apps.
Darn Brent...you may have forced me to spend around $9 bucks! CrossOver 13 is the latest version...very hard to resist. I wish I hadn't purchased Disk Drill a few weeks ago...that would have made the deal even better!

Thanks for the suggestion!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Just an aside: Virtualbox is free. It doesn't get you around the fact that you need to own a valid Windows license though.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Actually, VirtualBox is a good alternative if you need to use virtual software. It doesn't have all the frills that Parallels or Fusion has but you can't beat free. I used it for awhile when I ran XP on an older MacBook and it worked fine. But like member "caribiner23" stated, you do need a licensed version of Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Darn Brent...you may have forced me to spend around $9 bucks! CrossOver 13 is the latest version...very hard to resist. I wish I hadn't purchased Disk Drill a few weeks ago...that would have made the deal even better!

Thanks for the suggestion!

- Nick
HAHA I felt the same way when I saw it, but for Crossover and RapidWeaver, that was enough to sweeten the deal, and I handed on the other Apps to family .. ...

Yes its me
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Outlook preferences text unaligned | What the heck is this program? mac osx english droits devant en 306 dmg »