New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

unresolved recipients Outlook 2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tst3v3ns

tst3v3ns is on a distinguished road

When sending to a group list I have created, I get an "unresolved recipients" error, the message is not sent and moved to my drafts. I know one of the email address are wrong but I don't know which one. The list is too long for me to test each one individually. Also many of these email addresses are company email addresses so if they leave their company this may just happen again in the future.

More info, I'm connected through an Exchange server. If I use OWA (the Web interface) the email will be sent to everyone and I'll receive an "undeliverable response" telling me the incorrect email address. Why can't Outlook tell me the wrong email address?

Some trouble shooting Ive done: I created a test group with 1 wrong email address. Then I sent a test email. I have enabled logging and have looked at the (very cryptic) log file. I tried to search for the wrong email address/domain/user in the log file but can't find anything... So it doesn't appear that microsoft even logs the email that is bad... Very frustrating. I am trying to fix this on an executive's computer but I've been able to replicate the error on my own computer. I don't want to have to tell the executive he has to use OWA as a work around. I can't believe I'm going to say this but I miss Entourage.

Last edited by tst3v3ns; 05-01-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: More information and formating
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

When you get "unresolved recipients" it means one oor more of the email addresses is mal-formed. It has got to the point of knowing if the email addresses are valid and 'live'. It's just that there's something in the list that's wrong.

eg fred.smith@abc.com; johnsmith_abc.com; janesmith@abc.com
This will show as an unresolved recipient.

Outlook, as an application, knows that there's something wrong and warns you.

OWA doesn't have this checking ability so it just fires it off and only errors if something can't be delivered.

Quote:
Also many of these email addresses are company email addresses so if they leave their company this may just happen again in the future.
This won't cause the unresolved error. In this instance the email will be sent but those address not in use will return undeliverable.

The only way to resolve the issue is to look at the address list.
Copy and paste it to a text editor and replace all the semi-colons with carriage returns so you can see each address on a line on it's own. Shold be easy to spot the typo/grammer issue. Remember.... so long as the address is formed something@something it won't give you the unresolved error

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
tst3v3ns

tst3v3ns is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your response mrplow. I tested several incorrect email addresses. I tried misspelling the domain and the username. both of them give me this same response. I have made sure they were formatted correctly with no syntax errors. So, unfortunately I will get this same error when someones email address is no longer valid. btw, you are a loser and I think you are a boozer. (little Simpson's humor there)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with Aptana, Cyberduck, SFTP, Host Connection? | Aperture Major Crash »