New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Firefox 29

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Just did the update (it's out BTW) and so far have 1 question...
What's the deal with all the browsers in having tabs up top of the window?
If I wanted tabs there I'd use Chrome. Cant see where to change it back (if you can).
Firefox touts customizing but it's getting to look just like Chrome.There's even a little button on the right that's a dropdown menu a la Chrome.
At least my add-ons still work (for now).

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
tjod

tjod is on a distinguished road

Normally, you could change Tabs on Top to False via About:config, but that no longer works as of V. 29. I used https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...rc=userprofile to reset the tabs to where I wanted them.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Thanks for that. Now I get to peruse the customize prefs for that too

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I removed Firefox the other day, it just gets worse instead of better. I don't know what the deal is with Mozilla but it seems like they've fallen down on both FF and T-Bird.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

I'm with Charlie.

Used to be my sole browser but gets more difficult to use with each update. Safari exclusively at the moment.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

I updated as well. So far very happy with it. No real problems that I have found.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Firefox is up to version 29? And poor old Safari is languishing at version 7. LOL! This mad race to jack up the version number is absurd. FF will be at version 165 within a few years if they keep up this pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I removed Firefox the other day, it just gets worse instead of better. I don't know what the deal is with Mozilla but it seems like they've fallen down on both FF and T-Bird.
Firefox does suck. I think much of the reason is it's not even a "proper" Mac-native piece of software. Seriously. One of the nice things about OS X is you can assign custom keyboard shortcuts to any menu item in any native app. I've done just that for full screen mode, using F19. In Firefox, the menu shows the command should be F19, but it doesn't actually work because it's not Mac-native. I keep it around now just for the off-chance I run into some site that won't work properly in Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Firefox is up to version 29? And poor old Safari is languishing at version 7. LOL! This mad race to jack up the version number is absurd. FF will be at version 165 within a few years if they keep up this pace.
Version numbers don't really mean anything anymore. Apple, for example, does the opposite of convention by using minor version number updates (10.x) for major releases which is just as bad. For example, Safari should have a much higher version number than it does. The jump from 6.0 to 6.1, for instance, probably should have been 6.0 to 7.0. In the end though, none of that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Firefox does suck. I think much of the reason is it's not even a "proper" Mac-native piece of software. Seriously. One of the nice things about OS X is you can assign custom keyboard shortcuts to any menu item in any native app. I've done just that for full screen mode, using F19. In Firefox, the menu shows the command should be F19, but it doesn't actually work because it's not Mac-native. I keep it around now just for the off-chance I run into some site that won't work properly in Safari.
The excuse used to be (and still probably is) that since Firefox is cross-platform, using one toolkit makes things a lot easier since you don't have to maintain three separate UI layers (WinForms, Cocoa and a toolkit for Linux platforms such as GTK or QT). The downside, as you see, is that it's not native anywhere. This is exacerbated by the fact that Mozilla unabashedly privileges Windows integration (I can't find the blog post but a dev at Mozilla said this plain and clear) for marketshare reasons which ends up meaning that OS X and Linux get neglected (not so much the latter though since distro developers hack away and integrate it quite well). This excuse is ridiculous though - Chrome is native to each of the three platforms, using WinForms, Cocoa and GTK.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bento replacement | How do I copy iTunes tracks to another computer? »