New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

uninstall avast

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

samfromhernando

samfromhernando is on a distinguished road

I have a Mac OS X Mavericks (upgraded from Lion) 10 9 2. Some years ago, I downloaded "Avast" (free) A/V and today I had a look at it to see how things were running and lo and behold, NOTHING is connected - and apparently, I've been running w/o protection. I realize that this is probably not a problem but thought I'd uninstall Avast and perhaps upgrade to another A/V - and am totally unable to "uninstall" as there is no uninstall program. Tried to "drag and drop" to trash and re-boot and that doesn't work. Any suggestions for a really old disabled USAF Veteran.
Thanks - Sam
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You can find directions on their forum here. This You Tube video may be more helpful though.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

And you don't need any AV software. You can use ClamXav (free) if you really want to scan your system every once in a while, but there are at this time no viruses for Macs loose. From a really old (but thankfully not disabled) Navy vet.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

I often use AppCleaner to remove no longer needed apps, it always gets all the little bits, scattered by some all over the place:

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
samfromhernando

Thanks - I suppose that is what I should do. Can you recommend a good and FREE Mac AV app. that I could find and download?
Thanks much for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You don't need a free or paid AV app for Mac..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Safe browsing techniques, a solid password you share with no one and installing software and security updates as they become available is the best option.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Last edited by harryb2448; 04-26-2014 at 12:12 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

If you must have one, ClamXav is free and good. You only need to scan with it, not make it resident and taking up resources. There are no Mac viruses, so the only viable reason to have it is to prevent you passing any Windows viruses through to others on email. Personally, I don't bother.
QUOTE Thanks
samfromhernando

MBP17l
I cannot believe how neat this app is!!! Thanks so much for sending me the link.
Sam
QUOTE Thanks
samfromhernando

Jake: Thanks much for the info. I've read much about Mac virus protection (both ways) and just wanted to be sure. I do believe you and think that I too "will not bother"!
Thanks
Sam
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfromhernando View Post
I cannot believe how neat this app is!!! Thanks so much for sending me the link.
Glad you find it useful, it's a great little app.
It was recommended in MacFormat magazine about 4 years ago

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
samfromhernando

Thanks very much for your help - it indeed did the job.
Sam
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Kids Games for G4 w/ 10.4? | GMail 2 Places In Apple Mail »