New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Ms outlook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fjfkgn

fjfkgn is on a distinguished road

my folder layout gets all messed up. multiple folders with same name, I have 3 or 4 sent, delete, inbox, draft etc.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

OK. And....?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
fjfkgn

This is not helpful at all, OK and ? Obviously I am confused by multiple folders of the same name and want to know why I am getting them. Ashwin congratulations on your informative reply!!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Do you think your first post has enough information for us to provide a reason explanation? Did you tell us how the folders were getting created? Did you tell us if you are using IMAP or POP to access your email server? Did you tell us if you created these folders manually or were created automatically? Did you tell us how many accounts you have configured in Outlook?

Create a post with all the relevant information, we aren't mind readers and can't guess at what your problems might be..

I don't mean to be facetious, but the format of asking questions and receiving answers on a forum are not conducive to IM-style one liners. We need all the information to be able to even know if we can help you or direct to anywhere..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Last edited by Raz0rEdge; 04-21-2014 at 10:48 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
fjfkgn

Well, some questions, fine. I will try to get the answers to them
QUOTE Thanks
fjfkgn

I have researched how I can determine whether I am pop3 or imap. I asked the question of how to determine this. I get a detailed definition of imap, pop, but no directions of how to determine which my set up uses. I am running Outlook2011, and Yahoo Mail Plus, I ran outlook for a long time and never had these problems, but .. anyway, I clicked on outlook preferences and found thst my incoming server is :
pop.mail.yahoo.com and there is a 995 along side it, outgoing server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com 465
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

995 is the secure POP3 port, 993 is the secure IMAP port.

The downside of POP is that you are getting copies of mail, folders and other information on each of the connected clients. Changes on one client isn't going to be reflected on other clients or on Yahoo's webmail.

If you switch to IMAP, then all the changes are synchronized, so you'll have one copy of folders, email and anything you read in one place will be marked as read everywhere else.

Yahoo provides the information here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mobile-mai...pressions=true

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
fjfkgn

Thank you, I have switched to imap and see a much cleaner listing of folders. I was surprised by the displaying of three inboxes, 1. inbox, 2. Yahoo, 3. On my computer . Perhaps I am not interpreting this correctly, but the 1. inbox seems to be identical to 3. On my computer. I am left with alot of clean up of the extra bits of redundant folders. I started to open them, see that they are empty, and delete them. But every so often, when I delete an "empty folder" a small window opens and indicates that x of total y items are deleted with the count rising with each second. I quickly x out of the delete as I am concerned that I may be losing something useful. Oh well, I am much better off now, again thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Glad you got this sorted out.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
fjfkgn

Actually it was short lived "sort out". In a week or so my orderly folder situation degraded into the same bad scene. I had switched to IMAP from POP3 (not sure if my terminology is correct. My environment is I have a Yahoo mail id, with Outlook for Mac2011. Additionally I have Yahoo Mail on my SmartPhone. Maybe I am naive but I was in this environment for 3-4 years, and wham, something changed, and I found that I had to search for a key folder and find it nested in another folder or worse. I am considering canning Outlook and just go with Yahoo. Does this make sense? Problem is that I have folders that contain info that I must have, and the folder doesn't exist in Yahoo. How to efficiently move folders from Outlook to Yahoo? and I repeat, does this make sense?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recovering iTunes Library | Checkbook App »