New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

upgrade applescript editor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tcpms

tcpms is on a distinguished road

I have a script in one of my applications that works fine using version 2.4. The script fails for one of my clients. They have applescript editor version 2.3.

I can't figure out what to tell them to do to upgrade their applescript editor to 2.4.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm pretty sure the AS editor is part of OS X and is not installable as a separate component. In other words, to update the AS editor, you have to update OS X.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

not a scripting genius but the version of AppleScript Editor might not be the issue. It's possible that the script uses a function that is not supported for other reasons. Let me explain this way. Let's say you have an application installed. Your client has an older version of the same program. It's possible that your newer version has some AppleScript functions built in that the older version does not have.

There are a few questions that come to mind:

1. When you run the script is it running from inside Script Editor or has it been saved as an application? If you haven't done so I would try that.

2. Are you getting any kind of error message when the script runs?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yes I agree with Sly above and Van.
There are other problems running here as a script is backwards compatible, but the scriptable properties of the built-in apps, and even the OS can certainly change between versions... You need to find out what .v App it is your trying to run the script on your friend has, what OS and such.
Maybe even drop the script in here using the tags and let us see if its a .v problem or something else.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Also if going between versions of operating systems you need to be using source not compiled scripts.
In other words, give the client the source of the script and let them compile to application so it's compatible with their OS.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe Acrobat pro | Adobe fflash stopped working on 10.7-x »