New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Microsoft Office 2011 update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Microsoft has just issued a security update for Office 2011 = 14.4.1. The update is critical and should be installed as soon as possible. You can select "check for updates" right from within Office of just open any Office 2011 application and wait a bit for the update notification to appear.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

So it "skips" from 14.3.9 to 14.4.1 ?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
So it "skips" from 14.3.9 to 14.4.1 ?
Looks like that is indeed the case.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Yep. I had just upgraded to 2011 quite recently. I guess I got in closer to the latest update than the previous one. Downloaded and installed. Thanks for the heads up. I just did it rather than wait for MS AutoUpdate to run on schedule, as I'm taking a 6 day trip starting around the middle of next week.
QUOTE Thanks
Flip-200F

Flip-200F is on a distinguished road

Microsoft has finally decided that ransomeware is a viable business proposition. Yesterday when I opened Excel, MS’s Autoupdate Window opened and advised me that there was an update available. I had seen this notice several times before but hadn’t taken time do update. Yesterday, I did. When the update was complete, I gained opened Excel to continue with my work. Imagine my surprise when a window opened asking me to buy Office, enter a product key or see an existing file read only. I selected see a file and when Excel opened the splash screen showed my name but not my product key. I was able to see the file but could not make changes of any sort.

Being aware of M$’s superior support, I went on line and ended up with a phone call to a foreign country. The pleasant young lady redirected my call to the Macintosh Office support center where I was told that because I had updated Office 11 of course I would nee to renter the product key. Since I have owned and used Office 11 on this computer since very late 2010 and updated both OS X and Office 11 numerous times I was somewhat taken aback. The further explanation was due to having purchased Office 11 from a 3rd party vendor (long gone) and having upgraded OS X my product code no longer was available to Office.

Somewhere in the past 5 years, including a couple of work moves, I have lost the original Office packaging with the product key. My friendly M$ support lady told me, essentially, “Tough. Go buy a new product code.” because the vendor from whom I purchased the product was gone and because I no longer had the packaging.

Why is this ransomware? First, to access and use my existing files, I must pay a ransom to M$ in the form of an additional Office purchase. Secondly, there was no warning or other notice that implementing the upgrade would cause the loss of my product key. And, third, since my original vendor was gone, there was no was I could be helped.

Please post if you have had a similar experience. This kind of theft by a major software vendor must not go un-noticed. Security is one thing, this kind of rip-off another.

-Phil Jackson, San Antonio, TX.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why is this ransomware? First, to access and use my existing files, I must pay a ransom to M$ in the form of an additional Office purchase. Secondly, there was no warning or other notice that implementing the upgrade would cause the loss of my product key. And, third, since my original vendor was gone, there was no was I could be helped.
Quote:
I have lost the original Office packaging with the product key.
So, you're blaming MS for your own carelessness? All commercial software that requires activation or a serial number key in order for it to be used works the same way. How is MS supposed to know whether or not you have a legal copy of MS Office 2011?

Download the free Open Office or Libre Office which can read and write to all your Office 2011 files.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.3

Theft? MS has not deprived you of your goods by fraud, deception or carrying away. You have lost it.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Last edited by harryb2448; 06-07-2015 at 07:46 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 6+

@Flip-200F Sorry to hear about the difficulty. Something odd is happening here. I have both Office 2011 and the preview version of the next release. I currently have the most recent update but haven't experienced the issue you describe.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

I long ago learned to keep all that kind of information in a safe place, in three ways: All discs and packaging goes into a plastic box with a lid, one box for each device. And I write down all registration and serial number info in an encrypted information system, eg 1Password. And I keep copies of registration emails and scanned receipts in a hard drive file folder with multiple backups. Saved me grief many times. Especially with MS Office.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone, rejuvenated a discarded MacBook and, finally, Apple Watch. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Mikeo1938 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the heads-up regarding the MS Office for Mac 2011 update.
I've not bothered to install Outlook but have Word, Excel and PowerPoint and these are all saying 14.5.1.
In the original post, chscag refers to 14.4.1; I'm a bit confused over these numbers. Can I assume that my package (purchased from MS in May 2015) is indeed the up-to-date version.
Thanks in advance.
M
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 6+

I just checked my version of word and it is listed as 14.5.0. I think you have the most recent versions of those programs. The Office 2016 set I am testing has version number 15.0.

Member chscag started this thread a little more than a year ago. At that time 14.4.1 was the current version.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
In the original post, chscag refers to 14.4.1; I'm a bit confused over these numbers. Can I assume that my package (purchased from MS in May 2015) is indeed the up-to-date version.

Thanks in advance.
As was pointed out, this thread dates back a year. The current version of Office 2011 is now 14.5.1. Just make sure you have automatic updates turned on and to check for updates daily, and you should have no problem staying up to date.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Mikeo1938 is on a distinguished road

All noted and very many thanks for the clarification.
M
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.3

Sly you have an update to do. Mine reads version 14.5.1.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

For some reason that update hasn't shown up for me yet.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Print to PDF resolution/size | Need offline CRM suggestions »