New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

side fold greeting card out of 8.5 x 11 in folded paper into fourths

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dianajhunter

dianajhunter is on a distinguished road

How do I make a greeting card in Pages or another Mac program in which you take a piece of paper 8.5 x 11 inches and fold it into fourths so that the fold is on the left (side fold)? The Side Folded card will be 5.5 inches h x 4.25 inches width when you fold the paper. I can do this in MS Publisher but would like to do this in Pages or another Mac Program. I need a template since some of the printing has to be done upside down. MS Publisher is able to print on the 4 visible pages of the greeting card which again is just a folded piece of paper. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I moved your post here to our "Apps and Games" forum where you may get some better responses.

As to your question: The easiest way is to find a template that does what you wish and then make adjustments as needed. There are numerous templates available for Pages which are included with the application plus many add on groups of templates are available in the Mac App Store. Most are less than $10 and some are free. Browse thru them until you find something that suits your needs.

The closest affordable Mac OS X program to MS Publisher is called iStudio Publisher and sells for $17.99 in the Mac App Store. It's a great program very similar in layout and usage to MS Publisher, however, it lacks the amount of templates that MS Publisher comes with.

I do not recommend programs other than Pages or iStudio Publisher simply because they are either too expensive and/or difficult to learn and use. Since you received Pages for free, I would press on and try to learn how to use it. It's also a word processor.

By the way, you may be able to make a four fold greeting card in landscape mode simply by creating four columns and applying the correct margins and separations. I've done that for various bulletins we create.
QUOTE Thanks
dianajhunter

Thanks for moving this question to the Apps section. Do you think it would be worth it to buy updated software? I have Pages 08 and Office for Mac 08. Yes, I am running Maverick OS. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

To figure it out, take a blank sheet of paper and fold it like you want to fold the final document. Then number each page 1, 2, 3, and 4 with the numbers upright. Make the number large and centered. Now unfold the paper and you have a template of how to put stuff in the document for printing, including where to put it and what the orientation should be. Now use chscag's suggestion of columns or use a 2x2 table to create the four sections and put in the material. That's the lazy-man's approach, anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
dianajhunter

Thank you, Jake. I appreciate good ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajhunter View Post
Thanks for moving this question to the Apps section. Do you think it would be worth it to buy updated software? I have Pages 08 and Office for Mac 08. Yes, I am running Maverick OS. Thanks again.
Not sure about the size you want, but the standard 4-fold cards can be easily handled by iStudio Publisher - the app is inexpensive plus their website is excellent (I downloaded a template that would do the chore you want) - below is a Valentine's card that I made for my wife - worked fine w/ little practice - SO, just a 'thumbs up' to this app. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 11.13.11 PM.png (312.5 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Saving and playing a DVD | How To View PST Files? »