New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

P226kc

P226kc is on a distinguished road

It appears my TM is not configured, how do I do this? When I click TM, I click on 'set up TM', another window opens, show TM is off and I click and I click select backup disc. another window open for set up T Capsule. If I turn TM button to 'on' and select set up T capsule it opens window to show my Airport Utility. This happens even when I connect Ext HD. I have MBP Osx 10.6.8 2g Icor I7, mem 4g 1333 DDr 3 and TM v1.1. Need help so I can back up and upgrade to Mavericks.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

When you turn on Time Machine chose disk then it will show available disk that it sees either a Time Capsule or External hard drive highlight the one you want and it should start the backup one side note if you did not purchase an external drive specifically for a Mac you need to format it.
QUOTE Thanks
P226kc

That is probably my problem. I just started moving all my photos to HD without formatting it to my mac. I suppose I will have to move all my data off HD, format it to my MBP, then I assume it will work.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Before you do that check to see how it is currently formatted. Single click the drive and choose Get Info from the Finder's File menu. Look in the General Section and see what it says under Format. Time Machine needs the drive to be formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
P226kc

under format it says: Windows NT file system Tuxera NTFS
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Did you "move" files or "copy" then? If you just dragged them to the external, you most likely copied them and then they're still in the original location. Check to confirm the files are still safe on your internal drive and then you can format the external.

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think that's the problem. Time Machine needs a drive that will be formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled. If you want to use that drive back up anything on it and reformat it. Time Machine should recognize it then.

QUOTE Thanks
P226kc

thanks for the input. will move data from one ext HD to another, then get instructions on formating 1st ExtHD for the TM backup. Once that is completed, hopefully I can DL and install Mavericks,
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Prior to Installing Mavericks, create a bootable USB Flash/SD card OS X Mavericks install drive.

Creating a bootable OS X installer in OS X Mavericks

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by P226kc View Post
then get instructions on formating 1st ExtHD for the TM backup.
Here's the formatting Info

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 40,000 JPG / Tiff / PS file corrupted, damaged, will not open | Grammar in Pages »