New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Backing up Specific directories as Clone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spoma

spoma is on a distinguished road

I have read all the forum entries about using TimeMachine and SuperDuper. I currently use TimeMachine for my backups.

But, I am looking to have a clone of certain areas of my macbook pro hard drive. I want to copy the files to a USB drive so that they are stored as their files and can be plugged into another computer and viewed without any specific software loaded.

It is more of a clone that gets synched on an interval that I am looking to do. Anyone know of software that will handle this or do I need to write a script to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

If the other computers are all internet connected, this would be a perfect job for Dropbox.

You'd keep the files in a Dropbox directory and just logon to the other computer with your Dropbox ID and the files will automatically be kept in sync.

And you won't have to mess with USB flash drives.
QUOTE Thanks
spoma

caribiner23 I appreciate the input. I had considered DropBox but I was really hoping to get the files to the USB drive. I can write a script that goes through and runs on a timer and copies everything over but I was hoping there was already software out there that would do it.

I was actually hoping SuperDuper would do the job but it copies everything over as a single file that then can be opened with the SuperDuper application. Any thoughts or software to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

SuperDuper's prime objective is to create a bootable backup image of your hard drive. When SuperDuper is done doing its job, you have a duplicate on an external drive that looks identical to your internal.

You don't need to use SuperDuper to open the files on the backup disk: the drive appears in your Finder and you can explore it just as you would any other drive you attached. I am not sure why you believe you need to use SuperDuper to read it.

It sounds like you need a data backup solution with a scheduling feature. I know there are programs out there but it may be easier (and cheaper) to write a script.
QUOTE Thanks
spoma

Thanks for the info. I created a sparseimage backup on the external drive and backed up a single directory of my hard drive as a test. I ended up with a single file called something.sparseimage. Maybe I need to investigate what SuperDuper can do in a little more detail.

I know it can do a lot more than I wanted with bootable drives but it was relatively inexpensive and I thought it might handle this task as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is Updating "Show Info" data remotely possible in iTunes? | Delete Inbox emails - DOWN »