Backing up Specific directories as Clone
    I have read all the forum entries about using TimeMachine and SuperDuper. I currently use TimeMachine for my backups.

But, I am looking to have a clone of certain areas of my macbook pro hard drive. I want to copy the files to a USB drive so that they are stored as their files and can be plugged into another computer and viewed without any specific software loaded.

It is more of a clone that gets synched on an interval that I am looking to do. Anyone know of software that will handle this or do I need to write a script to do it.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 6 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    If the other computers are all internet connected, this would be a perfect job for Dropbox.

You'd keep the files in a Dropbox directory and just logon to the other computer with your Dropbox ID and the files will automatically be kept in sync.

And you won't have to mess with USB flash drives.

caribiner23 I appreciate the input. I had considered DropBox but I was really hoping to get the files to the USB drive. I can write a script that goes through and runs on a timer and copies everything over but I was hoping there was already software out there that would do it.

I was actually hoping SuperDuper would do the job but it copies everything over as a single file that then can be opened with the SuperDuper application. Any thoughts or software to do this?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 6 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    SuperDuper's prime objective is to create a bootable backup image of your hard drive. When SuperDuper is done doing its job, you have a duplicate on an external drive that looks identical to your internal.

You don't need to use SuperDuper to open the files on the backup disk: the drive appears in your Finder and you can explore it just as you would any other drive you attached. I am not sure why you believe you need to use SuperDuper to read it.

It sounds like you need a data backup solution with a scheduling feature. I know there are programs out there but it may be easier (and cheaper) to write a script.

Thanks for the info. I created a sparseimage backup on the external drive and backed up a single directory of my hard drive as a test. I ended up with a single file called something.sparseimage. Maybe I need to investigate what SuperDuper can do in a little more detail.

I know it can do a lot more than I wanted with bootable drives but it was relatively inexpensive and I thought it might handle this task as well.

Thread Information